Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Long Slog Of Going Through My E-Mail

My laptop, even with a new battery, felt too slow for me to go through the now-6,000 e-mails I've accumulated over the past couple months.  So I believe, or believed, that it would be better for me to do this task at one of the powerful computers at the library.  I mean, their hard drives never get hot.

But it's taking a little longer than I like.  First of all, I have to scroll all the way through two months' worth of e-mails in my inbox, and that takes time.  What I didn't think would happen was the load time for each e-mail as I go through each.  I don't have to wait until all the images in the message are completely loaded, thank God.  But I made the mistake of whipping through each message as soon as I saw the new headline.  I missed a lot of e-mails doing that so quickly.  See, this might be new or I might not have noticed until now, but every new e-mail message that you click on has a blue dot (at least it does on Yahoo!) next to the name of the sender, many of which in my case is someone running for office.  Once enough of the message is loaded, that blue dot goes away, the ticker in how many messages in my inbox are unread then goes down by one, and at that point I can go on to the next e-mail.  The time the first vestiges of the message pop up on this screen to the time the dot goes away is between two and three seconds -- not a glacial pace, to be honest, but it feels as though the message is taking a long time to load.  Those two-to-three seconds add up.  I have been here about an hour and I don't think I've made much of a dent in my unread caseload; it might be the gargantuan quantity I still have to go through, but what I consider to be the slow loading of each e-mail from two months back is not helping.

My goal, ambitious as it was, was to knock a thousand e-mails in the time I am here at the library.  I was going through my Facebook and my Hotmail, both of which are also way backed up, to be fair.  But I think I've gone through, ugh, 200 messages.  And now I want to go home and eat and nap before going out to work out in the evening.  This kinda sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment