Thursday, June 30, 2022

Yeah, That Is Racist

Before I left work -- and I should blog post about that next -- I left a note for my co-worker.  One of my duties in The Fourth Department is making sure every form that passes by both our departments is accounted for.  Since I stayed later than anyone back there, I was able to see if anything was missed with any form we had to take care of today.

There was.  Three forms weren't noted in this ... uh, system, let's call it that.  It wasn't my place to do it for them, and besides, I was staying so long, I didn't want to do it for them.  So I left a note for this guy saying, and I'm paraphrasing, "You didn't note these.  Mind doing them?"

I spent the rest of my evening downtown drinking.  (It was a bad day; I'll talk about it later.)  On my way home, I thought about the note I left.  Turns out, I'm not sure he was the one I should have directed the note to.  Now, there are two people in this department who could/should have done this, and one of them is off through Independence Weekend.  It wouldn't make sense to leave a note for her.  But honestly, I don't think I addressed this note to him, and implied he didn't do it, because of that.  I don't have any good reason to give him the note ... except, well, what I did was racist.

So, because I don't want to piss him off -- and I don't -- what I am going to do is wait until the Second Shift person leaves, drive back to work, and exchange notes.  I'm going to say something that, hopefully, will be perceived as less accusatory.  I think I'll find the right words.  But even if I don't, switching messages is something I feel I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment