Friday, March 17, 2023

Songs Playing On The Minute Of My Birth

I was going to rush and get a shave after my basketball team lost in the NCAA Tournament early this afternoon, but I thought better of it.  I needed to make absolutely sure I was going to be able to sit in my car and listen to the radio at the minute of my birth, and I was afraid something might happen on my way to or during the shave.

So I went to drop off my dress shirts for dry cleaning and pooped at the office building where I drop off my dry cleaning instead.  But, well, it took too long to wipe and wipe and wipe, so I got out of there a couple minutes before my birth minute.  And then I had to walk in the cold without wearing my long coat (seriously, it's cold objectively, but it's especially cold compared to the warmth of the sun and how warm I expect it to be in mid-March).  And then I had to start my car and, most annoyingly (First World Problem division) I had to wait for the audio system to allow me to change the station from the one that's broadcasting the tournament Games.  By the time I could, it was ten seconds into my birth minute.  A disaster, I know.

But after cycling through my pre-sets, I can tell you I can separate the stations into two categories: Those that don't count because they were in commercials, and those playing songs that I can't recognize because they're popular now and I have no idea what the young'uns are into these days.  I feel very, very old.

Nonetheless, I was able to listen to two songs that were playing at the minute of my birth:
  • On Jack FM: Queen, "We Are The Champions"
  • On The Current: Altin Gun, "Rakiya Su Katamam" (thank Buddha for The Current for showing its playlist on its website; I have heard this song on occasion -- and it's a banger -- but because they speak in Turkish [and are from Amsterdam], I couldn't understand the name of either the band or the song)

No comments:

Post a Comment