Friday, March 3, 2023

Not The Best Time

This isn't an addendum to my last blog post, although it could be construed as such.  I consider it more of a, uh, corollary.

The person who works second shift sprung a blindside (in my opinion) by asking for a 2 1/2-week vacation starting next week.  I'm not mad at her.  She's a really nice person, and she is more than well within her rights to ask for this, and even ask for it only a week in advance.  But it is inconvenient as hell.

Beyond the suddenness, she's asking off a dozen days that, really, I can't fill in for her.  First of all I am working The Fourth Department part of the two full weeks she wants off.  The only other person who is trained to do this position is my supervisor, and she doesn't usually work Mondays.  (There's that third person who's still being trained, and I have no idea how well versed she is in that position, but I know she can't work there by herself yet.)  That first full week is tournament week.  Not only have I taken off Friday because it's my birthday, I decided to also take off Thursday to celebrate the real beginning of March Madness.  And on Wednesday I usually set my bracket at a bar, drinking and contemplating.  I can't do that if I have to start work in the afternoon.  So that's out.

Moreover, there's this MNUFC thing Thursday night I want to go to.  And there's all this clean-up I should be doing before my parents get home that I haven't even started.  Yes, I guess I could wake up when I wake up and do it before work, but ... yeah, I don't know, you know?  So I'm not sure if I can even help out that second full week, even though if I do have to pitch in, it'll be that week.

So if I had my way, I wouldn't be covering any of the twelve days.  But I have been plenty flexible at work, so I know, at least unconsciously, that everybody else eligible to fill in second shift will wait for me to vacuum up any days I can work before they say they can switch their shifts.  But I don't think I can do that.  And so this is where we're all in a bind.

Like I say, not the best time.

No comments:

Post a Comment