Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Apparently, The Check Engine Light Being On Is Not A Problem To Some People

I've started to talk to people about the plight with my car.  It's partly to vent, but deep down inside, I think I am reaching out so that other people can relate, and so I won't feel so alone, which I feel right now.

My co-worker told me that she has driven with both her check engine and low tire pressure light for a couple years now.  A couple years??  She says she knows the problem is with the sensors and that the warning lights aren't indicative of anything worse.  But really, two years??  I was driving with all four of those damn indicators on yesterday and I still had a heart attack whenever I saw them!

I guess some people get used to it.  Which brings up a story I may or may not have shared here on Wailing And Failing already.  I was dropping off my car for some damn thing at The Mechanic Around The Corner.  They had loaners, but since this was an independent shop the loaner car was a beat-up sedan.  But hey, it gets me around, so who cares.  I'm driving and looking at the dashboard.  Everything looked normal ... until, I think, I saw a yellow dot.  That's weird.  I moved my head around while driving for some reason and I saw an extension of that yellow dot.  And that's when I put the car in park and craned my head off to the side, right around where I would be able to lean over and look at the dash if I were in the passenger seat.  And there I saw the check engine light on on this loaner.  It was on the whole time.  However, the mechanics put black tape over the dashboard so that anyone who was driving it would most likely not see it and freak out.

In a way, that's absolute genius.  It speaks to how they most likely think the car would operate just fine with the Check Engine light on (and it did, by the way) while also understanding that other people wouldn't see it quite that way.  And it's apparent that my co-worker is totally at peace with hers being on in her car.  Still astounds me, but maybe other people just drive with that on.  Could there be tens of thousands of drivers just driving with that amber light on in their cars?  Hundreds of thousands?  Millions?  If so, are they neglecting their cars, or do they know better not to overreact?

No comments:

Post a Comment