Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Car = Burden

My day yesterday/Tuesday kind of began Monday night, when my boss texted all of us warning us that because our shipment of work was both late and meager (I'm guessing it's partly because of the weather down South and partly because yesterday/Tuesday was a federal holiday), there wasn't going to be much work.  Well, upon that note, everyone in most of the departments I work in instantly asked for time off.  And that set up the irony that I was going from one department to the next, doing the late and meager work by myself because no one else showed up.  I was able to cobble together a full day because most of my co-workers chose not to show up.

I'm kind of jealous.  I was going to ask if I could take the day off, but the only other person who could do The Fourth Department (where I was supposed to work all day yesterday/Tuesday) got first dibs.  Nevertheless, I was initially led to believe that, because some people theoretically were going to work, I would be working at The Fourth Department only for a few hours.  Heck, I thought I would be there for only two or so.  That would have allowed me to drive the car in to the shop in the afternoon with a very outside chance (if the Check Engine light was going to be fixed easily) that I could pick it up the same day.  Still, I was able to leave after eight hours and get the car on to the mechanic's lot before the owner closed up shop.  My original plan was to get it there after hours, but I was glad I could physically hand over the key and get on the bus before it got too dark outside.

Before, when I dropped off my car because it had problems, I would feel a great weight lifted off my chest.  It isn't my problem now; the problem is getting fixed, and it'll be all new once the mechanic solves the issue.  I don't feel that's the case right now.  I don't quite know why.  A lot of it probably has to do with me bringing in the car for the same goddamn issue.  It might be my general mood; it's cold as hell outside (even though the Wind Chill Warning lifted at noon), and those four indicators that lit up in yellow always give me a heart attack when my eyes glance at them while I'm driving.  I also fear that solving the problem this time around will be deeper than just getting an oil change.  It might be something more involved, like wars, or a sensor, or a camshaft, or all three, who knows.  That will mean a costlier repair.  And while I can afford it (or think I can afford it, depending on how expensive it is), I had to look at both my checking account and stock portfolio online just in case a financial bomb is dropped on me.  Finally, I hope that the mechanic solves the issue for good this time around, because if he doesn't, I'll have to start looking around again.

Beyond that, I don't know how much I can trust my car now.  I've driven this car for about seven years.  And while I have had the starter changed and the car towed a few times, this feels like the first time it has gone through a serious problem that is indicative of its old age.  I also looked at used cars last night.  I don't know the first thing about purchasing a car, so I doubt I'm buying one anytime soon, but dammit, I have to start thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment