Thursday, January 25, 2024

Going Through The Frozen Leftovers At A Breakneck Pace

Got my car back.  Yeah, it runs fine -- I guess.  It idled funny at a red light on my way home in a way that scared the bejeezus out of me.  Also, it never feels good to write out a check for four figures.  I won't get used to it until I become an actual adult and have mortgages and shit.  But I am not that grown up yet, so although I am glad to have this fucking ordeal behind me (assuming the mechanics know what they're doing and haven't fucked up my car for good), I am going to allow myself to be frightened and depressed over what I have had to fork over.

And yet, in a concession to being a grown-up, I should cut back on my spending as a way to make up for the money I dropped for my major engine overhaul.  Combine that with the over-the-air TV networks finally getting new programming up on their schedules, and there are no several days where I in fact look forward to going straight from home to work, change clothes, eat the leftovers my parents made and froze for me, and watch TV.  In particular I plan on doing just that on Thursdays because the Law & Order/Dick Wolf Television Universe has just started its new season(s).  I might make no-cash days out of Tuesdays and Wednesdays so long as there are no episodes of, respectively, Night Court and The Conners.

However, my plan of eating through my folks' stash for me while watching TV might be coming to a quick end.  I remember complaining not too long ago that there was so much food that was still frozen that I was scared my parents would come back a couple months from now and there still would be food left over.  Well, that ain't happening.  I don't exactly know how I did it, but I think I made a concerted effort to, on several days, eat two things from the freezer.  See, I categorize what my parents made for me into two groups, big things (pasta sauce, ribs, pork and chicken), and small things, basically sandwiches and buns Mother taught herself how to make.  A few days of eating one big thing and one small thing, and the stash in the freezer has gotten mighty meager.  There's now a lot of space in there because there are, like, half a dozen tubs of leftover food left.  I will run out of food waiting for me well before my folks come home.

That's all for the best.  But that means I will now have to go out and, well, buy things to eat.  Shopping for groceries is a lot less expensive than eating out.  But when there is little to no food at home, I am conditioned to go out to eat, and that costs a lot of coin.  No wonder, then, I am looking up hot dish recipes online.

No comments:

Post a Comment