Friday, April 5, 2024

(Guiltily) Striving For Something Other, Something Better

So I just started applying to two jobs just now.  I feel kind of guilty looking for other jobs while I have one.  It feels like I'm sneaking around, like I'm cheating on my current job.  But I have to keep remembering the times I now feel bad at work, and it's for those instances where I summoned up the courage to look for something other, something better.

Also, you know another sign you hate work (this may be a no-brainer to others, but this is a revelation to me)?  I dread going into work.  You know, as much as I initially hated The Fourth Department, I had grown to like and even love going there.  I have my own little space, I didn't have anybody I really needed to answer to, I didn't even really have a co-worker I had to chit-chat with.  I was my own fiefdom, and once I learned how to do most of the work, I felt like I ruled back there.  But then my boss started to really micro-manage me, and a place I once loved has changed, and I think irrevocably.  So I think it's time to move on.

A part of me is just fantasizing, like this is a platonic affair where I do nothing too serious but I wind up going back to my job.  And yet at the same time I would feel absolutely dejected that I might continue to get stuck in a place that, more and more often, I don't want to be in.  And so I apply for jobs, and I think I will continue to apply for jobs, till I find something other, something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment