Saturday, April 27, 2024

To Hell With The Quiet Ones

First of all, a side note: I fell asleep because I felt my body get tired a bit past 6 in the evening, and I woke up totally refreshed around 2:30.  Wow.  I can't get my head around being able to get in a full night's sleep between dinner and the middle of the night.  But I just did that.  First full sleep I've had in weeks, too.

---

Yeah, yesterday was shit.  I think I would've been faster if I hadn't had to remember all the stuff I learned when I started.  By the time I finished up with everything, I accrued an extra 15-20 minutes in overtime, and I want to see if my boss is gonna be pissed about it.

I was wrong in something I said in my last blog post.  This person who bugs me in The Main Department didn't say anything when I screwed up.  Now, come to think about it, she is not one who pipes up when she sees something wrong.  She never has, so I don't know why I ever thought she would.

What she did instead, and what she usually does, is nothing.  My work procedure, at least as I knew it, was to go through my work and then pass it off to her, which is what I needed to do on this day because I was filling in for someone and she happened to be sitting adjacent to me.  For a good 15-20 minutes she didn't pick up this folder I passed along to her at all.  I didn't get it.  When this person was out of earshot, I spoke with another co-worker, one who is a bit more friendly.  She told me that we don't do this procedure anymore; instead of passing it down, we just do everything.  That would've been something I would've liked to have known.

That girl is weird, though.  If she is not finishing up these folders, she does not need to write anything down on this log that tells everyone we finished that folder.  And yet, after lunch, I look on the log and she put her initials on a folder I learned not to give to her.  Moreover, in this department we have a dedicated lunch time, and as everybody left, she kept typing away.  I get to freelance at my other positions, but not this one.  And I will venture to guess that she doesn't get to do what I think she did.  Also, near the end of our day, when it was obvious we were late, she just swooped in and did everything that still needed to be done.  That is something she's supposed to do because it was getting late.  Still, it bugs.  My excuse is that I got bogged down with a bunch of really, really bad folders.  I still was getting acclimated to the work she does every day, certainly.  But I can't help but think that she is cutting corners, and I have to think that she is annoyed with how slow I was.

OK, I am really going out on a limb here accusing her of things just based on my perception of her, but I don't care.  She's a blank space.  She rarely talks to anyone, she doesn't engage in chit-chat, and we know very, very little about her.  (Well, one story.  We had a team-building exercise last week, so to speak, where our boss was giving out candy for our work.  Most of the candy this year, compared to past years, were not of the chocolate kind.  I saw it, was disappointed, but grabbed the Starbursts and Skittles and all the non-chocolate candy that was available.  [I still have them if anybody wants them.]  Apparently, upon seeing the dearth of chocolate candy, this person shouts to the team that she doesn't want the candy, and then after being told by my boss she has to choose, complains while grabbing a bag.  If what I imagine that scene is what actually happened, what in the actual fuck?)

But that's the problem I have with her.  She is too quiet.  Normally, that's fine.  Hell, I'm usually quiet at work.  But when the only time you show any personality is when you petulantly let everyone know you don't like the free candy you're given, and you spend the rest of your time ignoring work I give you and staying after to do the work you want to do your way ... I don't care if I come off as a hypocrite, you're fucking weird.  There's nothing to you because you don't let anyone know what else is there to you.  Someone being this quite and all to yourself is a detriment to the work environment, almost as much as being too loud and too invasive.  And since I am getting shifted back to The Main Department more and more, I don't know if I can work like this, and with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment