Monday, May 16, 2016

My Losing Battle With Correspondence

Noticed lately that I have been falling behind farther and farther from catching up with all the messages I haven't yet read in all my online correspondence vehicles.

For instance, I have my Hotmail account.  It's the first one I ever opened up.  I remember doing it when I was in my summer class to Europe after I graduated; was at an Internet bar in Prague when I signed up for Hotmail.  It (as well as another Hotmail account I created) became my secondary account because I gave some guy at a Barnes & Noble my e-mail address and he just used it to spam the shit out of it, and now I can't use it for anything important.

However, I have found a use for it as the e-mail address for anything I wanted to sign up for, but have to keep receiving newsletters every week or month for.  I have signed up for a lot over the years, therefore the amount of junk electronic mail has piled up -- more than 20,000, in fact, and I am years behind.  That's one reason why I am looking forward to potentially two weeks off before my next project: I hope to burn through all those e-mails in order to cut down on the five-figure correspondence.  And no, I have not thought about just deleting them all.  I signed up for these, the least I can do is take a glance.

What's unfortunate, however, is that the same e-mail creep is happening to my primary e-mail account, my Yahoo!  I created the Yahoo! because of all the crap I kept getting on my Hotmail, and I wanted to start fresh.  For the most part it's working.  Although it's inevitable that I get spam, it usually finds its way into the spam folder, where I can completely ignore it.

However, I have been careless when it comes to signing up for things.  In a moment of weakness, I give the Yahoo! address to something in order to buy it, or to receive newsletters that I really wanted to see at the time, and I knew I wouldn't even take a look if I sent it to the Hotmail.  Well, I've used that so much that now that's piling up.  I had been pretty good about keeping the pile low, but it was around early last month that I wasn't able to login and go through it, and I guess I strung a few days together and now ... I have 800 unopened pieces of electronic mail.  I don't know how in the hell it got to be so many, but I have to have time to slay this dragon.

And now this crap is infecting my Facebook newsfeed!  This is what I get for continually adding babes I don't know.  I want to be a part of their lives, but I am now a part of so many lives that every time I check my Facebook I have, like, a dozen new notices.  It wasn't so long ago where that was not the case.  But the sheer tonnage of liking new hot models and bodybuilders -- both of whom naturally post picture after picture of themselves -- means I have to devote even more time to mowing that stuff down.  Many days recently I had not been able to, but it has been under control since.  But this is a beast that will permanently have to be contained, and even more so since I have no plans to stop being Facebook friends with hot babes.

No wonder I don't have time to go back to school -- I have to catch up with my mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment