Tuesday, May 3, 2016

In The Light Of New Information, Maybe No One Knows What The Hell They're Doing

I had to keep this in my back pocket till now even though I learned about it last week.  It's about the project I'm on that added a new immediate supervisor, the same bullshit I walked away from from the old test scoring place.

I was talking to my immediate supervisor, and I got to talking to another supervisor, the one I confessed all my problems with from the old test scoring place.  I alluded to how weird it was that it appeared as though the same thing happened here.  "Because it did," she said.

Oh, shit.  I was hoping beyond hope that there was a logical explanation for this, that maybe all those days I saw him walking around the building was because he was preparing for this project.  Nope.  She confirmed that when he came in that Monday, he was looking at the questions for the very first time.  So throughout the week, I was listening to a guy who knew the material less than I did.

Well, fuck my goddamn life.

I was thinking -- hoping -- these guys would not stoop so low, or act so desperate, or try something so stupid and divisive as bringing a guy in.  But apparently they did.  If that is the whole story, frankly, they're no better than the old test scoring place is.  And so quitting was the wrong decision.  If both places are going to be so half-ass, I should have stayed and took the constant disbelief of some person suddenly elevated to my boss, just so I could get the better pay, the oodles of overtime, and the shorter commute.  (And to see that girl's booty and rack.)

And yet I am still trying to justify why the hell I haven't quit here.  So I'm doing all these mental contortions to rationalize this dumbass move, just so I don't feel played for a fool.  I go back to the bullet points I created to see if I can still feel good about switching jobs:

  • He started on this project after me: Again, if true, that is unforgivable.  By the way, she said that this was above her pay grade.  Well, what does that make me?
  • He did not start alongside me on this material: No, and so the visceral offense of seeing someone across the aisle and down the table from me turned instant supervises is not a problem here.  But again, he may actually have learned these questions after me, which begs the question: Why in the fuck did these people not hire me as an immediate supervisor?
  • I know the person: Yeah, and the familiarity of the relationship I had with him last year was the reason I was so attentive to his replies to my answers.  But like I said in this previous post, it shouldn't matter how good he is or how seasoned he is in supervising.  If he didn't start on this project as a supervisor, he damn sure shouldn't waltz into one now.  But he did.  And that's not right.
  • This might be temporary: Well, I can hang my hat on this one.  Like I heard, he (as well as the 11 people brought in with him) was gone in a week, whisked back to the project he was slated to supervise from the start.  He's gone, and that means a lot, even if it is sort of a cop-out.
  • I can't walk away from a second job: Well, this is the real reason, is it not?
I'm such a fucking dope.  I still am justifying my stay with this project, and this company, with those last two excuses -- it was only a week, and I have no other place to go.  If I were a man, if I was the person I was going to be after turning 40, I'd set a flamethrower through that fucking room and demanding answers as to why some guy was allowed to waltz in and essentially take over the place for a week, and why the hell we had to answer him.  But no -- I'll just meep quietly and be the attentive boy they want me to be.

Such fucking bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment