Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Stuff That I Don't Get: This Chanel Commercial

OK, I just realized that for the longest time I wanted to blog about this, and since I don't really want to talk about the other things I'm thinking about, it's about time.

Can anyone explain to me what the hell this Chanel commercial's supposed to be about?



OK, my issues with this:

1) Who's the girl?
2) He's a photographer ... and then he's an actor?
3) How did the girl wind up being a reporter? Is this a case of a reporter breaching her journalistic duty and falling in love with the actor?
4) Is his girlfriend's question the one the PR guy asks him whether he wants her to repeat?
5) Also, how in the hell does the girlfriend wind up in the press conference?  Do people know they're together (assuming they are together)?
6) Why does looking at her face, and then flashing back to all the good times they had together, trigger something?  I mean, what is the obstacle this protagonist faces which is solved with the help of gazing at her in that press conference?  Is the obstacle the question he can't understand?
7) Why in the hell does he say, "I will not be the person I'm expected to be anymore?"  Who is that person?  Where in the flashback does that show that he would rather not be that person, whoever he is?  Who are the people who do expect him to be that person he doesn't want to be?  Really, the question is: Why is he so upset?
8) Why and how do the walls just suddenly slide to the floor, as if the guy just opened up a secret panel to unlock a box and discover the mystery inside it?
9) Finally, and most importantly: What the fuck does this ad have to do with men's cologne?  Wait a second ... is this Bleu de Chanel even cologne?  Or is it perfume?

Yeah, it's not a film, although I had just learned before blogging this post that the actor is Gaspard Ulliel and the ad was directed by none other than Martin Scorsese several years ago.  I get that you can't really create an entire plot in 30 seconds, although (and again I just discovered this now) the full commercial is a minute.  But goddamn, this spot has confused me so much that from time to time I still think about it, even though I haven't seen it on TV in a while (although it seems as though I have seen it in spurts half a year ago, and then in a similar spasm, like, a year before that).

Any insight, guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment