Sunday, July 14, 2019

I Think I Sold My Soul To Soccer

This is one of those cases where I want to write long about it, but the timeliness of the subject conspires with my need to leave very soon compels me to not blog post too much.

So last night I was at the United match.  Best MNUFC match I've seen so far; I'll tell y'all at the WMNSS come Tuesday.  There's a guy who, like me, comes to a lot of games by himself because he's a sports nut.  We were chatting it up at halftime.  Cool, solid dude.  He asks me how many games I am going to this year.  I may have told him I'm a season ticketholder, but I listed all the games I've been to ... league matches of course, then the Open Cup matches, then the friendlies ... and this is the point where I realize that I am going to a lot, and I mean a lot, of soccer games.

And sure, this is all centered around one time I have made a decision to devote a lot of money and time to.  But this also concerns a stadium, Allianz Field, to which I have seen a game not with the Loons but with the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team, in the Gold Cup.  And that day featured another game, between Trinidad & Tobago and Panama.  And looking back, my soccerdom isn't rooted at all to United FC.  There's the games way back with the Minnesota Stars, and before that the Minnesota Thunder.  And I plan on taking in at least a couple games with the Minnesota Golden Gopher soccer team this fall, as I have done for many years now.

And then it's not just going to games.  Like any couch potato I try and see a lot of soccer games.  I've watched soccer before I've gone to soccer matches, but in past years my loyalty to "football," I realize, has become almost total.  I go to pubs to watch World Cup matches -- first men's, now women's.  Whenever continental cups are played (UEFA Euros, Copa America), I try to watch a game or two.

But I have tried, in years past and now, to find a place that will show really obscure matches.  I tried to go to The Local last year to see a La Liga match.  I went there two years ago and made them change the channel so I could watch the Women's UEFA Euro final.  And right now, this very minute, I'm trying to find a place that will ensure I can watch an African Cup of Nations game this afternoon.  I can't find it yet, and it's driving me crazyThat's when you've caught the soccer bug.  That's when you've sold your soul to soccer.

Gotta go.  Wish me luck finding a place this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment