Saturday, July 13, 2019

Is It Too Late? Is It Too Much?

After I blog post this, I am going to get in my car and deliver this thank-you card to the post office mailbox.  The card is to the family who hosted the super important alumni club event ... almost three weeks ago.  Yeah, that's late.  But I think, as president, I need to send thank-you cards, even if they are on the tardy side.  I mean, don't people send Christmas cards around MLK Day?

So maybe that won't make me look good in their eyes.  But just as worrisome (even though the card is all sealed in the envelope already) is what I said.  I thought about it a lot over this evening.  No, that's not true; I thought about thinking about it a lot over this evening.  Specifically, what tone should I strike for this card?  Finally, I considered that this is the family's second year hosting and that this card will get to them almost a month after it has occurred, so I thought a brief, "Thanks, this was better than last year, see y'all in the fall!" message would be enough.  But I already have regrets.  Should I be comparing this year's party to last year's?  Am I disparaging last year's, even though I really think this year's was just as good?  And am I being presumptuous about having the family come over to downtown Minneapolis to watch football games with us?  Have I made an ass out of u and me when I assume?

Well, too late now.  And besides, there's a good chance they'll trash the card as soon as they open it.  It's the thought that counts, especially from board members, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment