Monday, July 8, 2019

Too Slow???

So back on Friday, as I was starting my shift in the filing room, I got called over by my supervisor for that day.  Usually he avoids the hell out of me, and understandably so, because I'm chasing him down because I have a filing question to ask.  But he was chasing me, literally.

I was leaving the filing room because I needed to check on whether I needed to get something to bring back to the filing room.  I was allowing the door close behind me when, as it was closing, my supervisor called for me and then opened the door to stop me.  I've never seen him do that before, and it truly was jarring.

That's when he whispered to me (and I'm paraphrasing): "You're too slow in filing.  I'm going to look over your shoulder and give you tips on how to get faster.  OK?"

Well, if that doesn't hurt your pride.

Where do I start?  There are three (and sometimes four) different areas when it comes to filing.  If his ... oh, I'll just say "complaint" about me is that I'm too slow, I don't think it's this one area because it's dependent on requests we get.  It could be this second area, but I don't think I'm that slow.  And frankly, I don't think I'm slow in this third area, the one I think he's talking about.  Without detailing exactly what I do, there's a lot to do -- especially on Tuesdays, the beginning of our work week, and the times I have lately been working in filing.  Also recently, my actual boss has asked us to begin tracking our work.  That's how this guy, my supervisor, knows about my supposed lassitude.

Now, what is the process of how he knows?  Either he was looking over the numbers or, more likely, my actual boss looked at the numbers.  From there, either he told my supervisor to tell me I'm working slow, or he told him that I'm working slow, so talk to him about it.  Maybe this is the same thing.  But I will add that while I think my actual boss is on the cool side and I can work with him (at least for now), I don't feel that way with this guy.  The other day, for example, as he was gone, we all were talking about how he likes to move things the way he wants them to be no matter how we try to do what he wants.  So like I've said before here on WAF, people in that department appear to tolerate him, and that he doesn't have much standing in there.

And, so, I still think it's possible that he is taking this initiative on his own and not at the behest of my actual boss.  Why?  Well, a personality like sounds like a guy only in this for himself.  Using that logic, he is doing this so he can make himself look good.  Maybe that's wrong, and maybe I shouldn't think of him like that.  And maybe he genuinely wants me to do better.  Or, maybe he's just doing his job.  Look, I just don't like being told that I'm doing a bad job.  And in my mind, that is what he said to me.

Whatever.  I'm next scheduled to work there Saturday.  That can change in my job.  But if not, I have about a week before this guy is looking at me like a hawk and telling me to cut corners or something.  Let's see if I can swallow my pride to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment