Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Longest Day Of My Life

Almost forgot to blog post today.

Monday afternoon, just before the end of work, I was told that, I think for the second week in a row, there was overtime available after work that day and early next morning.  You see, Tuesday is our beginning of the week, and the samples of piss are backed up all weekend.  There are other forms that we deal with and that are also backlogged until we get crushed by them on Tuesday.  The information regarding the piss samples takes priority, but there are so many other forms that we get that day, and that need to be done in a timely manner, that we are asked to stay late and/or come in early in order to deal with them.

I need the money.  I always need money.  So, for the second week in a row, I volunteered.  Except that my boss added an extra incentive: To be able to get out of work 15 minutes early one day from now until the end of the year.  Oooooohhhhhhh.  But I only get that if I work at least two hours of OT.  I only worked one last week, but I could use those 15 minutes at some point in 2019, so I said I could do two.  However, it was my preference to do those two hours yesterday/Wednesday morning because I was filing Tuesday and I didn't feel it made any sense to switch to my computer in an entirely different department and work just for an hour.  Besides, I wanted to see the end of the USA-England Women's World Cup Semifinal, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was working OT.

So, this what I did.  I stayed up Tuesday night until 12:30.  I woke up at -- gulp -- 4.  Got to work at 5.  With the exception of a glorious and well-needed nap for lunch at around 11, I worked ten hours straight.  I was going to immediately change into my shorts at work after work (it's humid around here now), but the Netherlands-Sweden WWC Semifinal was going into Extra Time, so I decided to find a bar with a TV.  I drove to Surly because they said they would have a big TV, but I didn't see no big TV.  As I was headed back to my car, the Netherlands scored, and since it's soccer, there was no chance the Dutch were going to lose, so I went to my psychiatrist's office building and changed clothes at the public restroom there.

Went to Hallmark to buy a thank-you card for the hosts of our alumni club event.  Dinked around Barnes & Noble.  Drove to the library to try and take a nap.  Failed.  Drove to a side street for the United match.  (This is around where I felt most tired.  But watching the match pulled me through.  Great win, by the by.)  Went to three places because I was starving as hell, but Old Chicago was busy, and fast food restaurants (as well as Famous Dave's) was closing because it was 10.  So I decided to go through the drive-thru at Hardee's (where there were so many cars and such slow service that I almost asphyxiated on the CO of the exhaust) and ate their Garlic Bread Thickburger in my car.  Then I finished my day at My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Edition) because, hey, I didn't have to go to work tomorrow.

Got home, finally, at a quarter to midnight.  That's 19 3/4 hours of being up and out and about.  Helps, like I said, that I had time to sleep in today.  (For the record, I conked off at about, oh, 12:30 [like the night before] and got up at around 8:30 this morning.)  Also helps that at work I was shunted to a department where I was doing so much I had no time to be tired.

Still, if I have a Wednesday like that, I should decide on Tuesday not to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment