Monday, July 15, 2019

Have To Rethink My Going Out Plans

So last last weekend (not this prior weekend) I went to two stops: Milkjam, which I go to occasionally, and Glam Doll, which I go to a lot.  But I don't know if I should go to those places anymore.

For Milkjam, it's more of an annoyance than anything.  You see, they ask that their door remain closed.  Milkjam gets to be a very popular place, and there is oftentimes a line that leads out to the sidewalk.  The natural tendency is to hold the door open, but they say (and I tend to agree with them) that holding the door warms up the freezers holding the ice cream, so they melt much faster than the should.  So there is a sign asking that if you are waiting and the line is long enough, please wait outside.

In my estimation, starting this year people have started to get both pushy and dumb.  For my past several visits, if I recall correctly, someone after me has held the door, as if they were completely ignorant of the sign that, in my view, is in my plain sight.  Moreover, people don't seem to exhibit self-control anymore, in that if half of a group of people (and it's always a group) can fit comfortably inside and half can't, well, they'll just shove all of themselves inside.  This lack of manners creates another issue: I remember one time that a Milkjam worker threw some of the last people in a line that snaked through a good portion of the store itself (and it's a small store) outside, saying that there were too many people inside and they were breaking a fire code.  I wouldn't know that for certain, but if they say so, they say so.  And my pet peeve is that by cramming themselves inside as opposed to waiting outside, they don't really give a damn about anything other than themselves.

It got extremely bad this past past weekend when this group which could wedge itself only halfway through the front door were a group of young and (deep breath) white teenage girls, all of whom were wearing crop tops.  They held the door open, but when they were told by a worker that they needed to shut the door, they all piled inside and then, with a tone that, in my humble opinion, just screamed "PRIVILEGE!!!" told the group behind them, a group of South Asian teenage girls, none of whom wearing crop tops (OK, maybe one), that they had to shut the door in front of them.  It may be the times we live in, and I could be oversensitive, but these chicks' behavior towards people don't look like them drives me a goddamn wall.  Oh, and I think they breaking a fire code by deciding they could line up inside instead of outside, but ultimately that's Milkjam's problem.

---

Glam Doll is worse, only because I've gone there so often I feel as though it's replaced My Favorite Late-Night Italian Place (I should blog post about them; they're closed now), and so not going there as often (or anymore) will hurt more.  For some time now (and I think I've touched on this before on Wailing And Failing) they've cut back on their hours on the weekends, closing at midnight instead of 1 a.m., their original closing time.  They have also closed earlier than that on occasion, mostly because they sold out of their allotment of donuts (which made me think they're making fewer and fewer donuts, but that's just me).

This past past weekend, after that frustrating scene at Milkjam, was something different.  I bought a donut and pour-over coffee, as usual, and sat down to, or at least try to, do some serious work on my computer.  Not too long after, I see some of the workers clean up the tables and pull the chairs up onto those tables, as if they were closing.  It was, I think, 10:30, barely a half-hour after I got there.

So I said if they were closing early, again.  They were, although they tried to make pains to not kick me out; they gave me a deadline of a half-hour, or 11 p.m.  But then I noticed the donut case: There were donuts.  Plenty of them.  I reflexively wanted to ask, "But wait -- you guys have donuts.  Why are you closing?"  But the guy -- who, unlike many of them, I haven't seen work there before -- said, unprompted by anything I said, "We can't stay open selling $1.25 donuts" -- of which there were many, although there were some of donuts with higher price points.  OK, but no way.  I have never heard of that excuse to shut down Glam Doll early before.  In fact, the only times they have ever shut down early was because they sold out.  So either this guy wasn't telling me the truth ... or Glam Doll is not as financially sound as I thought they are.

Either way, what is going on there is kind of freaking me out.  And that is why, this past Saturday, instead of jetting to Glam Doll, I went to the craft breweries on Central and hung out there.  I might not be able to have ice cream on a warm summer's day, or hang out on my computer while eating a donut and sipping coffee.  But at least I won't get pissed off by some teenage chick or get kicked out of a place for no good reason.  And maybe this is the way it'll have to be from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment