Tuesday, July 23, 2019

I Knew I Was Going To Be Too Late

Grandmother died about two years ago.  I was expecting to get ashes or, at the very least, information about obtaining the ashes from her biological family shortly after the cremation.  But honestly, I didn't think too much about it after I got home.  Part of it is distance, part of it is the numbing shock of losing someone I was close to, part of it was dealing with my brother who was being a colossal dick and I just wanted to get away from it all.

But I had been waiting.  For a long time.  Now, my thoughts about it were fleeting, and my actions towards that end have been even more infrequent.  I could have reached out to the family before now, but I didn't.  It's was for all of those reasons above, plus time making it even more awkward to ask.  But finally, before it becomes too, too late, I reached out to the grandson through Facebook about it.

And he said his mom (Grandmother's daughter-in-law) sent an e-mail about it after the service.  I don't remember getting it, though I do remember giving them my information.  Damn thing probably went into my spam folder.  But if they didn't hear from me, I assume they would have tried again, or even called here, right?  And beyond that, they still have some ashes lying around, don't they?

Probably not.  Shit, man, I procrastinated way too much on this, and there were too many mistakes and instances of miscommunication for me to get Grandmother home.  smh

No comments:

Post a Comment