Friday, January 17, 2020

Made It Home Safe!

OK, so the snowstorm was supposed to start mid-morning.  It didn't actually get here until, oh, a quarter to 2.  (I was looking at the latest updates on AccuWeather.  That site predicts the coming of storms to the minute ... and I think they timed the storm down to the minute.)  I was hoping that my boss would let me go early like he did yesterday; I am working half a day Sunday, and he cut me loose because, I think, I would still be able to get my 40 hours per week and he is trying to shave off overtime whenever he can.  But, there were applications in the lab that could be processed, and those aren't things that can really wait, so I had to stay till the end of my shift, which was 3:30.

When it started, it apparently came bursting through.  I was in the lab and it was pure and calm and just cloudy outside; I looked down, looked back out through the window, and there was a damn blizzard going.  I was scared as hell that I would get caught in bad traffic, so I took the side streets.  But besides a couple of spots where I went, "Uh, I'm not stopping as ideally as I thought I would," the drive was fine, albeit slow.  My real fear was not being able to drive up my driveway, where instead I would have to park on the street and shovel the driveway.  No need; my low-riding hatchback got up to where I usually park it just fine.  And despite the mean-mugging storm, maybe an inch fell by the time I got home a bit past 4.

It looks bad out there right now.  But it doesn't matter because I'm not out there.  I'm in here, at home, where I can stay until I need to go to my aunt and uncle's place for Chinese New Year's dinner tomorrow night.  I am safe and sound!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment