Wednesday, January 1, 2020

OK, My First Blog Post Of 2020 Is A Rant

OK, at work yesterday (so 2019), I was filing to fill out the rest of my day.  My former supervisor, who is not just a worker, notified me of this request form.  When I see this request form, I know that we are looking for ... an application.  This guy said that he could not look up the folder for which we could find it.  He did not say that we were looking for this application.  Apparently, that makes a difference.

He told me to wait and look for it later.  Circled back to it near the end of my day.  Looked it up, and I saw the folder in which I should be able to find it.  So, because this has been requested (other people need to do something to the urine sample connected to this application), I go the folder to fetch this application.  But I don't see it.  At all.  So I assume that I looked up the wrong number.

At the end of the day, while I was on my way out, I told the guy I couldn't find it.  I was hoping he was just going to say he'll take care of it later, but instead, he wanted to take this request form and take a second look right then and there.

"Here's the number," he basically said.  "You wrote it down."

And I basically went, what?  See, I wrote this number on the request form, but since I couldn't find it, I crossed it out.  So I told him, "Well, I couldn't find it, see ..." and I went back to the box where all the folder were ... and there is the folder whose number I initially found.  Oh, I guess I could have just waited until all the folders came in, and then I could find the app.

But I was trying to find the app, and it wasn't there.  I mean ... that is the point, right?  See, he's seeing that I found out where it was, and then for some reason I crossed it out.  I'm thinking that since I couldn't find the application, that number is wrong.  We're looking for two different things.  Well, maybe not different -- you take one step, and then you take that other step.  The way he described it, he just wanted me to take the next step.  My thing is the bottom line, finding the app, and I was not able to "get there," so to speak.  We were not talking about the same thing.

So why in the hell didn't he just say he wanted me to look for the thing he wanted me to look for?  I guess it didn't dawn on me that someone else had not put in the number of the folder this app would be in, that that number was the only thing that he was waiting on.  So, why didn't he just say, "I just need the number."  Or, better yet, just say that the application hasn't come in and try to find it if it comes and it's OK if it doesn't.  Why are you asking me to look up the number when the point is to find the damn application?  And now he probably thinks I'm stupid.  Oh, fuck, he probably thinks I'm stupid already.  Well, I know that the other people in the department don't think that highly of him.

Eh, whatever, we wished each other Happy New Year.  Maybe this is all a lot of nuttin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment