Sunday, January 26, 2020

Mmm, Sushi With A Side Of Snot!

Last night, for Chinese New Year's Day, I saw late (like, yesterday morning?) that the Minnesota Whitecaps, defending NWHL/Isobel Cup champions and currently second in the league, is hosting the Boston Pride, who not only are leading the NWHL but are perfect on the season at 19-0.  #2 hosting #1, with a Saturday Game at 6 and plenty of tickets available?  I'll make a night of it!

It was a hell of a match.  The 'Caps scored to take the lead only for the Pride to tie it up not once, not twice, but three times, the last of which in the final Minute of regulation.  But on the ensuing faceoff, a Whitecaps player (sorry, I forget her name!) steamed in and fired a shot that got past the Pride Goalie, and, like, seven Seconds after the Boston tying Goal and with less than 50 Seconds left in the Game, Minnesota went back ahead.  And it was a lead they were able to hold on to: 4-3, your final.

You're not supposed to eat meat for New Year's Day, but since I usually have a hot dog at a sporting event, I followed up that hot dog with another one at Kyatchi on the other side of St. Paul.  It came recommended on a recent story in City Pages.  And it was good ... and then, because I was making a night of it, I followed it with pressed sushi, which I decided to get because the restaurant posted a blurb of its City Pages Best Sushi win from last year between its double doors and it came recommended.  Don't know if I should have; it kind of fell apart when I dunked it in the soy sauce, and now I feel really full this morning.

Oh, and I do this thing where I use all the wasabi given to me, even though you're not supposed to, because I was beaten to thinking I can't waste my food.  And so I dunk the pressed sushi, ate it, and immediately my nostrils flared to the point where I was producing snot like the country needed it for war.  And so I blew my nose and put it aside ... and then, when I was ready to eat the, like, fourth of six pieces, I saw that the snot-filled rag I just blew my nose in was resting perfectly on my plate of pressed sushi, right up against two of the three remaining pieces.  I swear I thought I was putting it on an empty plate that was right above this plate, but I didn't.  And right now I can't stop thinking that I ate two pieces of pressed sushi with snot on it.

I blame the wasabi.  I got so delirious and disoriented and I didn't know where I was throwing my tissue.

I'm going to get sick again.

No comments:

Post a Comment