Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Hey ... More Work ... Yay. ...

Oh, so we got the news about ten days ago: This test scoring job has been extended by two weeks.  Apparently there is a lot of testing of kids being done, and they're being done in dribs and drabs, and apparently the project manager likes our work.

I don't mind getting more work; it's nice to be wanted.  But I have kept saying that being busy five nights a week after working at my main job five days a week has taken a toll on my energy and my comportment, and it continues to.  Still, I can't pass up an opportunity, especially if it's offered to me because I'm being so productive (shh don't tell anyone).

Nevertheless, since this is an extension, these two weeks are not considered a "contract" to which we scorers are obligated to show up every night and work once we agreed to the whole project.  In a situation like this, we are allowed to stay on if we have to miss a night because of, say, dinner out with your spouse, or a couple days due to a weekend vacation planned in advance.  Or, in my case, three days spanning Independence Weekend because I have to fill in for the Second Shift Filing person.  I didn't expect this test scoring job to be extended, and it didn't look as though anyone else was going to be able to fill in for her except for me, so I agreed to substitute.  I was worried that a different scoring project would be offered to me; because of my obligations to fill in for my team at work, plus finally wanting to have a weeknight to myself, I was prepared to finally say no after, oh, about three months of working four hours a night.  But if I don't have to be at my desk promptly every night of this extension, and if it is just two more weeks ... eh, I can do it.

With that said ... my contact at the test scoring place left a voicemail for me Friday.  She does not completely close the door on the possibility that we would be extended beyond July 9.  She doesn't think it will happen, but I'm guessing the pandemic, the cascading jumble of lesson-planning and testing because of the chaotic environment of hybrid and remote learning (none of which is consistent from state to state or even school district to school district), and the ensuing, incessant waves of essays that are coming in from all the states that administer the test we're grading have, according to her, generated a backlog that may not sort itself out in two weeks.  So who knows, I might be screwing up my body clock even more ... and for money ... for which I will probably always sacrifice my health and sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment