Monday, June 28, 2021

Sometimes I Don't Get Myself

There were a bunch of ... oh, how should I say this -- secondary forms ... that came in late Friday.  I had a feeling that my boss was going to declare overtime, and sure enough, he did -- for the next day, Saturday.  Seeing as I do not work Saturdays and that soccer was going on and that I was seeing my friend, I decided not to come in.  It's rare that I don't, but I do have a life, and I wanted to live that.

Then, yesterday afternoon my boss texts me and another person who doesn't work Saturdays that overtime has been approved for Sundays.  Again, I can't do it because I wanted to watch soccer.

I work Monday/today, obviously.  The people I'm with aren't the company people type.  I have seen overtime offered before.  And, for example, when I come in early in the morning (we're sometimes allowed to stay after our normal leave time, but lately I have come in early because of my test scoring job in the evening) there may be, oh, two other people who decided to come in early.  And we have, I want to say, 15 people in my Main Department?  So considering the huge amount of secondary forms that came in on Friday, I imagine that a lot of it would still need to be done even after the weekend's over.

So that led me to the conclusion/possibility that overtime would be approved for Monday/today as well.  However, the text my boss sent me did not say OT has been given for Monday.  But then, I thought, maybe I should check my company e-mail to see if there is any other message that was left for me.  And I did, and there there was -- sort-of; my boss, about four minutes after he texted this other person and I, said that OT was approved for Sunday ... and Monday.

My initial thought was, "Well, since I am working Monday anyway, now I'll go in early!"  But then ... well, why didn't my boss text me that I could have OT Monday?  Maybe he didn't mean for me to come in early on Monday.  However, he e-mailed me that it was acceptable that day ... so, why wouldn't I be able to come in?  And ... well, that's where I'm at.  If I came in at 5 this morning instead of 7, I don't think he would mind.  And if he did mind, if he didn't mean for me to come in for overtime this morning, well, he'd tell me to, like, leave early on Wednesday or something.

But you know what?  I'm not coming in early this morning.  Why?  Because I'd rather sleep in!  And so why in the hell did I even bother looking at my work e-mail?  I logged in to see if I could come in early.  I can come in early ... but now I won't come in early?  If I'm not going to come in early, even after going out of my way to see if I could, why even care to look?

Yeah, sometimes I don't get myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment