Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Yeah, Working From Home Isn't Working Out ... For My Employer. It Suits Me Just Fine.

Nope, I have to admit this with less than two weeks left in the project.  I should have been professional about working from home and obeying their rules about not listening or watching anything and avoiding distractions and blah-blah-blah.  But I can't.  And I didn't.  And even though there has been a slight uptick in my production lately, it's still been below average.  Guessing that the supervisors being very nice, the other scorers picking up the slack, and not being so slow as to invite true scrutiny have been the only things preventing them from just telling me to buzz off immediately.

Sorry, but if I am able to listen to or watch a game while stuck in my bedroom, I'll do it.  I did it last night with the Copa America match between Argentina and Chile (on TV, Univision), then with the CA match between Paraguay and Bolivia (on radio, Fox Sports Radio through SiriusXM).  As long as I made sure I cut the microphone on my end, no authority figure on the other end could hear me.  And productivity, frankly, means nothing to me when I can listen to and/or watch sports.  Oh, and I have also just surfed the Internet inbetween papers.  Catch up on my e-mail and Facebook while doing this.  Again, as long as I don't get caught, why stop?

Now, the powers that be may look again at my statistics at the end of this and conclude that I am too slow to be asked to be hired back.  Maybe they'll give me a reprieve if and when the scoring site opens back up.  That would allow the company to monitor my work and behavior during the project.  But that, of course, would suck for me because I would not have anything fun to do while "working."  Let's just hope I get another chance next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment