Thursday, June 17, 2021

The One Great Thing About Having Two Jobs

I think I've blogged about this before, but I'll say it again: Having this test scoring job at night after coming home from work during the day is kicking my ass.  I hate it.  It's sapped me of all my energy (even though I have managed to stay awake) and it's totally altered my sleep schedule.  I feel so exhausted at times that I regret doing it for the money.

However, I noticed something about the test scoring job that is peculiar, and it makes me ... well, OK with the project I'm working on, and I'm OK with it because it touches upon my OCD.  When we had orientation at the start of our project, we were shown a calendar listing pay periods and pay dates (and we get paid on Fridays, of course).  We get paid biweekly at this job.  I also get paid biweekly in my main job.  The notice that my paystubs on my, uh, ADP account are sent to me via e-mail, and it's sent just after it hits midnight on Wednesday, telling me how much I'm going to get paid that Friday.

I looked at the dates.  I then remembered the e-mail that was sent the week before.  I got paid by my real job the previous Friday, and therefore I would get paid two Fridays after.  According to the calendar I was looking at for orientation, my next pay date would be ... between pay dates for my real job.  These two jobs are taking turns paying me on Fridays.  In other words, ever since I got back on with this test scoring place, I've been getting paid every Friday.

That's freaking awesome!  It's great to know that my checking account is being replenished once a week.  I did get paid by the week when I was a temp, and I have always wondered why most of the working world pays employees every other week because I didn't see that much of a difference between getting paid weekly and biweekly.  (And the whole point is sort of moot because my checking account is as fat as it's ever been because I haven't gone anywhere for much of the past 15 months, so it does not matter how frequently or infrequently I get paid.)  It feels more secure getting paid weekly though, you know?  Regardless of whatever expense that blindsides you, you can always count on more money being shipped to your account every Friday.  That feels like a safety net.  However, I'm wondering why two large companies came out to have staggered pay calendars.  If a business is paying out every two weeks, wouldn't it be logical for all the businesses who do so to agree (not through some bylaw, not via some huge meeting or anything, but just logically) to pay all employees on the same Fridays?  How could one company's pay schedule get to the other biweekly pay schedule?

Whatever.  I've been getting paid every week for, oh, the past two-to-three months.  And it looks like I'll be getting paid for a little longer than that now. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment