Saturday, June 26, 2021

Right Now, My World Is Ruled By Soccer ... And That's Alright With Me

During work the past couple weeks or so, both day and night, and sometimes when I'm just spacing out in bed, I'm thinking about the weekend, and making specific plans.  Specifically about one plan: How am I going to catch the international soccer tournaments going on right now.

For the sake of myself when if and when I look back at this blog post, I will note that right now there are two going on right now: The European Championships (also known as EURO 2020, even though it is 2021 [delayed, obvi, because of the pandemic]), a tournament amongst countries in Europe; and the Copa America, a tournament amongst countries in South America.  Both quadrennial tournaments, starting in 2016, aligned their schedules so that they would be played in the same Year, so this is the second summer I have had this specific, uh, conundrum I don't mind having about crafting many of my weekends around either watching or listening to soccer Matches.

I should, however, start with the workweek, where being able to listen to the sport has been a godsend.  The Euros happen during the daytime because Games are, I think, six hours ahead (ETA at 1:37 a.m. on June 27 that because of Daylight Saving here [I think] it's actually seven -- my mistake), so I've been catching their Games while at work, which is great.  (I have developed a frustrating knack for missing Goals getting scored because I had to, like, talk to someone or get up and use the bathroom, but I might talk about that some other time.)  The Copa America Matches are closer to the Central Time Zone, so I get to hear them (and, if any are on Univision, see them) after work ... but this Year is a little more complicated because for the past few months I've had this test scoring job that meets at night.  I'm not supposed to have the radio or TV on, but sports rules my life, so I have made a point of either listening to CA Games on Sirius XM or turning my television set on ... and having it on mute -- or not.

And while both tourneys are going on, sports is ruling my weekends, too.  I can go watch a Game on TV, and so I'm thinking of going to as many different pubs and sports bars as possible.  But it's hard to just hang out at one place for more than two hours, so either I am doing some serious bar-hopping on my own or, more likely, watching one Game while going out and then going home to catch the second.  That is what I'm going to do tomorrow; the Netherlands-Bohemia Match I'll catch somewhere, and then I think I'll come home early and watch Belgium-Portugal on TV because it's on free TV/ABC/Channel 5.  Then there are the last group Matches in one group.  Brazil-Ecuador will be on Univision, but I care more about the Venezuela-Peru Match because of those countries might be eliminated from Knockout play, and that isn't on Univision and it doesn't appear it's going to be on satellite radio, either.  Shoot.

I can make more complete, concrete plans with the tournaments reaching the knockout/tournament stage.  While I love going to watch the last Matches in the group stage, where, by convention, they're played at the same time and so I get to watch (or try to watch) multiple Matches at once, having fewer Games to plan for, while it makes me sad 'cause it means the tournaments are going to be over soon, means I know that on this date I have this Game, and so I can go maybe to this place, and if there is anything I need to do In Real Life, I can do it when there isn't soccer going on.

I'm rambling here.  I'll just tell you what my mindset is after this weekend:
  • Monday there's a quasi-tripleheader of Games.  Round of 16/Eighthfinal Matches at 11 and 2, and then the final group stage Matches in the Copa America at 7.
  • Tuesday EURO finishes up the Round of 16.  I wish I had time to break away from work to see England-Germany, but I guess I'll just listen to it on the radio.
  • No soccer Wednesday nor Thursday.  Easier to plan, but now that I see that, I am really, really sad.
OK, I've changed my mind again because apparently it'll get really busy on Friday.  And that brings up a complication which was one of the reasons I wanted to blog post about this.  I work my main job second shift Filing, which means I'll be at work for both CA Quarterfinals ... but I'll be free during the day, and so I could, theoretically, watch the early, 11 a.m. Quarterfinal.  Might be better than if I didn't have to sub at work second shift; I would then be working my day job during the day, then have the test scoring job (which was extended, although I am excused from this for a few days) at night.  But then again, under that scenario, I could listen and/or watch all four Games somehow.

And then there's the other complication: My good friend is here from Texas, and while she is busy doing some estate stuff for her late mother, she has at least a couple hours to break away and see me.  But she chose the time (and I'm guessing it's the only time) this afternoon ... right in the middle of the Italy-Austria Match.  Not ideal, but my friend has to take priority.  Just wish we could meet this evening instead.  There are no Copa America Games then, and my plan on seeing *****a for a handjob fell through.

Yeah, I rambled a lot in this blog post.  Bottom line, it's a problem that makes me smile, and I'll be sad once this problem is over because that means the tournaments are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment