Monday, July 12, 2021

Not At My Best Yesterday (Actually A Week Ago), Part Two

OK, I'll be honest: I had two other entries under this title, but I forgot one of the ways I was not at my best.  I have occasionally said "I'll blog post this later," and I never get around to talking about it ever again, and I should get better at it, but I think I'll continue to make this promise I can't keep.

But I think I remember the other entry, and it has to do with soccer, whose two big international tournaments (the Copa America and the EURO) just got done.  I have had a ridiculously shitty time either looking at or listening to Goals as they go in.  Now, that always happens, especially if the Match gets boring and I start to thumb through my cellphone.  But it got really ridiculous this Year, especially when I was listening to Games on satellite radio, especially at work.

I think, around the time I was prompted to do this Part One, Part Two thing, it was the afternoon of the France-Switzerland Eighthfinal.  All I did was drop my headphones to go to the bathroom because I was about to leave for the day.  I come back ... and not only did Karim Benzema score for France, but he scored twice for France, two Minutes after the first Goal.  Yeah, I have the ability to rewind and hear the Goals as they happened, but it's nowhere near as good as hearing them live -- well, as live as they can be through the computer; I have noticed that when I hear sports on SiriusXM, the action is between 15 Seconds and 14 Minutes late.  But still.

In that Match, Switzerland actually scored first, but I was on my break at the time.  That I could handle; this, back-to-back scores, in a summer where I missed more than my fair share of Goals, broke me.  I had planned on using my data to listen to the rest of the Game on my way home, but I got so pissed off at my bad luck that I decided not to.  So of course there were three more freakin' Goals before I could turn on my actual satellite radio at home (which is not late in transmitting the Game at all and in fact is sometimes Seconds faster than the broadcast on terrestrial radio) -- the French notching a third, then the Swiss scoring not once but twice to tie.  At least I was able to listen to the bitter end of the Match, with Kylian Mbappe getting his Penalty Kick blocked for the Swiss victory, on my phone as I had just finished up with my dinner.

Again, you can't predict when a team scores in soccer.  It's out of my hands, sure.  I still didn't feel I was at my best then.

No comments:

Post a Comment