Friday, January 20, 2023

Now Everything Looks Like A Nail To Me

OK, so we had a snowstorm overnight.  It wasn't as bad as the previous overnight snowstorm, which forced me to plow in the morning, get to work an hour late, and forced both of my co-workers (who comprised a whole department) to stay home.  It wasn't forecast to be as bad, either, but I think because so many underestimated the previous snowstorm, we all swung the other way and over-anticipated and over-prepared for this one.

So, when I went out and surveyed the driveway, I saw that, while it was sort-of deep, contrary to the weather forecasts, the snow was light and fluffy.  And while I had to gun my car, I was able to back out of the driveway and get to work, albeit slowly and five minutes late.  The snow lightened up from then on, and I thought it wouldn't be so bad as to necessitate the use of the snowblower, but the city got the plowers to pitch the snow off the street and onto the base of the driveway.  I tried gunning my car onto my driveway, and I got it past that barrier and just onto my driveway, but I couldn't get it up any farther.  So, even though I eventually measured the snowfall at less than four inches, I backed my car back out because, turns out, I had to use the snowblower.

Whatever I have said in the past about my snowblower being unreliable, forget it.  It started up fine, it worked fine, it plowed like a beast, and my driveway is clear.  The end-of-driveway snow?  Not an obstacle at all for my blower.  The residual snow that was on my driveway that got icy because of the days of melting and freezing?  Well, some of it is still there, but I know that I was able to slide under some of it and pitch it through my blower's chute and onto either my front yard or the neighbor's front yard.

And yes, I felt like a man again.  Even moreso than I do after all the other times I plowed my driveway , because it took me just about an hour to clear it this time.  Light and fluffy snow is faster to get through, I guess.  Now that I believe my snowblower to be reliable, I do not regret at all using it when I could have, conceivably, just shoveled it all away.  I might use it for the next snowfall even if we get only a couple inches.  Why shovel when I can plow?  It's so much faster and easier on my body.  But maybe that would be overkill.  See, when you get a hammer, everything around you looks like a nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment