Monday, January 23, 2023

Should I Buy A Gas Can? Nah

So my parents (actually Father; Mother probably doesn't care and probably has never even touched it) a five-gallon metal gas can.  The problem is is that it is very old.  For one thing, that means it doesn't vent, and for another (and more importantly in my estimation), it doesn't have a spout that handles splashes very well.  So, when ever I refill my snowblower or my lawnmower, all this damn gas misses the target and spills onto the side of the hole.  Not only is that a waste, heaven forbid it somehow lights on fire.

I have never been impressed with this gas can, so lately (and even up to just now) I've been looking up gas cans, specifically where I can buy them and which ones are the best.  Scouring the Internet, it appears as though that plastic gas cans are very convenient, but can leach chemicals into the gas contents.  That's no good, so I think that metal is better, even though it'll corrode over time.  But I see that this one appears to be the most-highly regarded gas can.  And it's got a funnel attached to it, by which I mean you can't move the funnel; you stick the funnel into the hole you're trying to fill, pull back on a handle, and pour.  That's all great, and it vents too.  But I have to pay $65 for it?!

Then I realized that I do have a funnel at home.  If splashing is the main reason why I contemplated buying a gas can, maybe I should just grab the funnel, which is in the laundry room, and use that the next time I'm gassing up one of my vehicles.  Why didn't I think of that before?

No comments:

Post a Comment