Friday, January 27, 2023

And Then A Miracle Happened (No More Coughing)! Maybe!

Weirdest thing happened over the course of the day yesterday/Thursday.  I took some cough medicine the night before, before going to sleep.  And I woke up ... and I coughed a lot less.  I mean, like, a lot less.  Now, I did have a few coughing fits over the course of the day, so I'm not completely out of the woods.  But compare that to the myriad spasms of hacking I involuntarily bothered everybody at work with over the past few weeks.  Yesterday, I was relatively quiet.

I don't know what or how that happened.  I think the cough syrup worked, but I took it off and on the past few weeks and it didn't help.  Sleep is supposed to help, but I only got 4 1/2 hours of sleep last night.  The only hint I can give as to why it's gotten much better I gleaned around the few times I was coughing up a lung.  During those episodes, it felt as if something irritated my throat, and it reacted by coughing it out.  That's when I felt my throat was, for lack of a better word, active.  From the time I woke up yesterday/Thursday morning, I felt as if my throat was too tired to cough anything up that might be irritating it.  It's as if my throat got beaten down by all the coughing and said, "You know what?  I quit."

If it quit, frankly, that's good for me, because I'm tired of coughing like no one's business, too.  I hope it continues at work today/Friday.  I drank alcohol (ranch water, to be specific), so I am avoiding drinking anything else that is supposed to induce sleep in me.  If I limit myself to about the same number of coughing fits like I did yesterday/Thursday, I'll feel more confident I can put this cough behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment