Monday, January 9, 2023

Expenses Without Receipt

OK, starting from Sunday, January 8, 2023, and hope to Buddha I'm right because it's been almost a month and a huge two-week trip happened inbetween:
  • I actually need to go back ... all the way back to Thursday, December 22, 2022, when we were on The Big Island.  My brother really wanted to take a tour of Kona Brewing Co.  I didn't even think to go do a brewery tour, but it's not bad.  I'm not a huge of Kona -- I'm not a huge fan of beer in general -- but their (I think) previous commercial tag line -- "One life, right?" -- is an existential epistle that basically sums up my outlook on life and the outlook all people should take to.  We had to pay for the tour, but at the end of it, we went to its little bar/merchandise shop called The Thirsty Gecko.  Yes, I was compelled to be a tourist and buy a couple things (and charge it on my credit card).  I also "donated" to the tour guide: $5.
  • Later that day we all went to the Safeway on The Big Island -- I swear I didn't think there would be a giant grocery store chain on The Big Island -- because we all wanted to buy food, some of which we didn't eat and had to throw away.  My parents paid for everything, but because I shelled out money at Kona, I threw in a donation in one of those tiny plastic jars you see at the checkout line.  I don't remember what the charity organization was.  Left: $1.
  • On Monday the 19th, back when we were in Honolulu, we spent most of the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Think Disney World.  It's a very interesting and entertaining place to learn about cultures of the South Pacific.  It is somewhat concerting however, to learn two facts: The vast majority of entertainers and workers there are students at nearby BYU-Hawai'i; and this place is founded and run by The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints, aka Mormons.  Anyway, we wound up the long (and mostly rainy) day eating at the giant buffet.  Great buffet; lots of food, some of which is geographically and culturally representative of the PCC.  There was musical entertainment: A duo that waited a long time between songs so someone in the crowd could ask for a dedication for their loved one's birthday or graduation, etc.  Whenever they sang "Happy Birthday" -- and they did it more than twice -- they would go, "Happy Birthday to you/Woo!/Happy Birthday to you/Woo!"  That got annoying.  I went over to their stage; they looked old and thus probably are not students.  But I threw in some money anyway: $1.
  • On Saturday the 17th we went to this famous steakhouse in Honolulu called Hy's.  The steaks are smoked in Hawaiian wood; other than that, it's a steakhouse.  They graciously took a photo of us; unfortunately, it was on their 2000's camera, we all posed terribly, and the picture they gave us consequently looked, uh, ghastly.  But there was also a musician playing music to enliven the environment.  Nice guy.  Wanted him to play something jazzy, like "'Round Midnight" or even "Skylark."  He knew "Fly Me To The Moon."  I took it, and once he was done and went on break, I went back over to his line of sight and gave him a double thumb's-up.  Oh, and I also tipped him: $1.
  • Friday, December 16: I accompanied my parents to Chinatown.  Whenever they go anywhere, they go to that place's Chinatown.  It's their happy place, their oasis of familiarity in a foreign land.  (Me, I go to secret bars.)  Instead of troubling my sister and brother-in-law, they learned how to get there on the bus -- or, rather, The Bus, the actual official name of public transportation in Honolulu.  Neat name, and I hear it's one of the best systems in the country.  But it is expensive: Three bucks per ride.  Getting to Chinatown and back was thus: $6.
  • Finally, very early on Wednesday the 14th I got a ride from **y, who a few days before sucked my dick with a condom on.  After our session I nonchalantly told her I was going to Hawai'i and asked if she could pay her for a ride; she had said she takes gig jobs to supplement her income.  And she said she could.  Buddha bless her, it was sleeting that overnight/early morning, but she got there early and got me to the airport well in time.  So yes, it was worth paying her: $50.
  • I hopscotched from MSP to SEA to LAX to HNL.  That was not my decision; I bought a two-legged one-way trip, but my airline (which, by the way, would not give me miles for this ticket because I went Basic Economy -- oh, fuck you) added a third leg, the one from SEA to LAX.  I was running on red and getting quite tirangry, but this apparently local favorite coffeeshop called Alfred Coffee hit the spot.  They say they are known for their iced vanilla latte.  Sure, I could go for that.  I don't know if it was the best iced vanilla latte I've ever had, but it kept me both going and sane.  With tip it cost me: $10.
Assuming I'm right, I'm good through December January 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment