Thursday, February 16, 2023

RIP, COVID-19 Testing Place

So I went to the community COVID-19 testing place on Saturday.  Nowadays I drop by there just before visiting Grandmother's best friend in the nursing home.  What I do is swab my nose there, drive all the way down to either a Burger King or Dairy Queen (oh, wow -- king or queen ... I just got that), eat while getting the results of the test and, assuming it's negative (it was never positive), I could then proceed to see her at the nursing home.  Did that monthly for the past ... oh, many, many months.  It became a ritual, and this site became a place I didn't mind visiting to get a test because it was the state government's way of providing me with a means to see that I'm healthy enough to visit someone very old without fear I could give her something that could kill her.

That place is closed now.  Didn't know it when I went there Saturday, but I saw a sign saying that it closed ... well, I think it said January 30, which is a Monday, which is kind of a weird day to close up shop.  That place wasn't going to stay open forever, and with this impending end to the emergency declaration for the pandemic on May 11, its days really were numbered.  But I thought it would be open until then.  Moreover, this is Minnesota, a blue state completely run by Democrats.  I think they'd be smart enough to keep this community testing site open as a service to the public.  But it's closed, and I miss it because schlepping out there became a part of my life that used to be a pain the behind but became a familiar beat to my routine.  But it's gone now, gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment