Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Today Marks One Year Since I Got My Doc Martens Polished

Yes, my favorite (and only) shoe shiner hang up her shingle one year ago today.  She quit to become a barista in downtown St. Paul, but now she is working for some gym in downtown Minneapolis.  I should text her, tell her I say hi.

As for my shoes ... well, frankly, from the looks of it, they're fine.  I mean, I understand that having them shined is a hell of a lot better for them, and I know that they're deteriorating as I wear them.  But I've had them for several years now and, huge crack in the hell of my left shoe aside, they're hanging on, and sometimes pretty well.  Both my shoes (but especially my left one) sometimes gets, for lack of a better word, infected with this rash of white spots, which my ex-shoeshiner says is a result of salt erupting from inside my shoe to the outside.  I should see someone just to get that salt off of my shoes.  Nonetheless, they're still working for me.

And yet I know that I should get them treated at some point.  My ex-shiner gave me the name and number of her replacement, yet I have not been able to line up a time with him because he apparently gets out of the house late because of family duties.  I understand, but it got so difficult to set up a time with him that I haven't contacted him in months.  Maybe I should try it again, for my Docs' sake.

Just wanted to note the (for lack of a better word) milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment