Tuesday, June 13, 2023

I Don't Wanna Be Promoted!

These days, Mondays at work are the worst.  I have to catch up on all the stuff that accumulated over the weekend, so it usually is the day where I have to stay at work the longest.  (For the record, yesterday/Monday was actually good; I got out before 6.  I give myself until 6:30 before I have to leave because I sure as hell ain't gonna stay at work for ten damn hours.)  Add that it's, well, Monday, and usually I get to work that day cranky knowing that I'll be there a long time, and that makes me crankier.

So that means that there's a bunch of stuff I just have to gird myself for and grit myself through the day.  But there was nothing like early yesterday/Monday morning.  My supervisor, who was filling in for someone who, it turns out, had emergency surgery (long story), out of the blue said she might be leaving her job.  Why?  Because she's been asked to fill another position that's been unfilled for many months now.  She doesn't want to be in two places at once, and she says the bump in pay isn't worth the added responsibilities and stress.  But it looks as though the main reason she doesn't want fold this second job into her first job is that she will be under the direction of someone she hates, who just happens to be my boss.  (Well, it's my co-boss, not my really boss ... it's a story too long for a blog post).  She has had run-ins before, and she wants to stay the hell away from her as much as possible, and that means she will not take a job that puts her under her in the organization chart.

She has a meeting with her boss, who also happens to be my boss, today/Tuesday.  I don't know how that is going to go.  But if it doesn't go to her liking, she said, yesterday/Monday morning, she will leave.  I would really miss her.  She's the supervisor who points out when I do stuff wrong.  I hate it, but eventually I do it her way because I respect that she cares about the work at our company, and someone has to have some fidelity to the job.  Plus, she's been there a hell of a long time.  If she walks out the door, a lot of institutional knowledge walks out the door with her.  We as a department would be lost.

And then, half-jokingly but half-not, says, "Would you be interested in training?"  No, I said.  And then she points out that if she leaves, the person most tenured and best suited to replace her as supervisor would be ... me.  Oh, hell no!  I continue to be befuddled by a lot of the stuff I have to do, in all four departments I have to work in.  If I have to consult the training manual to figure out how to do something, I have no business being a supervisor.  Plus, all the crap that my current supervisor has to put up with and might have to put with I'll have to put up with, and I don't want to put up with any of that -- the training, the potential jockeying back and forth between departments all day, and, yes, dealing with my current co-boss, someone I like and get along with, but someone I fear I will immediately chafe under if I officially have to work for her.  My supervisor detailed a story where my co-boss got bent out of shape with her for not keying for over two minutes.  I didn't know bosses have surveillance software looking over our work output.

If there is no supervisor, there are just workers and bosses and no one inbetween.  And as much as I think our department, if not our company, would suffer, I sure as hell don't want to be promoted into that job because that will be a big step backward in terms of my work-life balance and my well-being.  Hell, if I get pressured into that job, I might quit, too.  I should freshen up my resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment