Monday, June 26, 2023

So Now I'm Taking Lactase Pills

All the times I've felt bloated that had to rush to the toilet a few times a night to evacuate my bowels as if my life depended on it ... I had enough.  It seemed to be acutely bad the last few times I had ice cream.  And I love ice cream, and have forever, even through previous bouts of bad diarrhea.  Maybe I finally paid attention, but over this spring and summer, I had ice cream, and then I needed to eventually crap it out, and then some, and I felt miserable well after.  And it kept happening.  No more.

I tried lactose-free milk, and even though it went down OK, I sometimes feel OK after drinking regular milk too, so I'm not sure if that solved my lactose intolerance for good.  I finally got around to researching lactase enzyme pills, and a couple weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a box for the first time ever.

I have used it several times now, but not yet for ice cream.  I don't remember the first time I used it, but it may have been for the cake Mother made.  I had it Saturday afternoon for a malt from Bebe Zito.  And then yesterday/Sunday afternoon I took one before drinking a shake (but after eating chili) at Potbelly.  No gas or bloating, and no attacks in my gut.  I did have a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone yesterday at DQ after coming home from dropping off my aunts, but I did not take a Lactase beforehand.  I feel OK, and it's been about four hours since I ate it, and I haven't felt bloated or (too) gassy, and I haven't had to run to the pooper, so ... I don't know.  I will say that I don't remember ever needing to crap badly after eating an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen.

At some point I need to commit to the experiment and take a pill before eating ice cream, and from one of the places I remember getting diarrhea from at that.  That's when I'll know if these things work, and whether I truly have found a "cure" for my lactose intolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment