Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Should Be Happier Now That My Parents Are Gone ...

... but it's been a hectic and thus shitty 36 hours.  I shall recap:
  • Went to this place where we are having a fundraising event tomorrow (Wednesday), just to make absolutely sure we were cool.  "Oh, I know you ..." said the General Manager after I asked for him.  He then proceeded to tell me that, while it's OK for us to meet then, this could not go on any longer, hint-hint.  That's when I remembered the ex-Vice-President getting shit from this restaurant last year.  The problem was that fundraising events like the one we're holding should be much bigger, and that the crowds we're getting (under a dozen, which this year's probably will be) isn't bringing in the money he envisioned when the restaurant came up with this program.  Hearing second-hand of a lecture like didn't seem too bad; I remember telling my VP to "not take any shit from him."  But hearing it told to me to my face ... well, it's different.  I'm not saying he's wrong; after all, he is running a business.  I know in my head it's not a threat, but my heart feels as if it was threat, so I can't help but feel like it's a threat.
  • That meeting with the GM took so long that I had to rush to the Nomad to get see the start of the EPL game between West Ham and Newcastle.  But when I hurriedly parked, ran and opened the front door, it was locked.  Oh, shit, not this again.  This has happened to me before, but I figured that I was able to watch games there the past couple Mondays, so why not now?  Well, it turns out that they had advertised on their website that they would be closed.  That's OK, I guess; all I ask for is consistency.  I mean, why can't you always be open Monday afternoons for soccer matches?  That was a waste of two bucks to park, but I had some other fantasy football bullshit that came up.
  • Oh yeah, the fantasy football bullshit. ...  In the other fantasy football league I commish for, one of the managers had ... not complained, but asked me why available players were all free agents and thus able to be picked up during the games on Sunday.  That's when I remembered that I wanted to change the feature on that issue, but when I tried to do that after our auction, it reverted to putting all availables on waivers.  I just forgot with the other situation -- which you know about and which I'll give up an update on below -- still on fire, so I think this was another shitstorm I had to solve.  But upon further reflection I thought, Wait ... What I really wanted to happen was for these guys to be Free Agents.  I just wanted them to get placed on Waivers before the games started.  So although the same person who e-mailed me about this thought about asking everyone under the honor system to trade back the people they dropped-and-added after the games started Sunday, I instead just said we should keep it as it is for now, but add in the feature starting in Week 2 (this Thursday) whereby a players is put on waivers as soon as his team begins play for that week.  Which, in retrospect, probably is what I wanted all along.
  • The thing with my frenemy with the other fantasy football league is ... still going on.  I am now taking a less defensive, more personal and, I'm afraid, apologetic tone towards him and this ongoing issue.  I mean, I'm talking about my feelings.  After the last time I spoke I broke off one from the conversation to talk about a change in scoring in the league.  We're going with it, but I want him to know that I'm still concerned (and a bit angry) over unresolved issues, so we are sending two separate messages each time we are communicating -- one light, one bitter.  On the one hand I am getting kind of fatigued, and this is a way to try and ease the hard feelings we're tossing at each other.  On the other I am afraid I am getting played by my frenemy and I have just shown weakness by trying to change the conversation.  Plus, I believe that I have missed many points when it comes to fighting back against all his accusations.  And as much as I want to "fix" that, I'm afraid I just don't have the argumentative acuity to pull that off.  Going beyond that, I think he thinks I am losing this argument and finding a way out.  And so it goes.
  • One of the grand prizes is buying a bottle of wine.  There are many that come recommended; none of them are in the municipal liquor store.  The municipal liquor store, I have concluded, has really shitty selection.
  • Oh, and Straight Outta Compton is, I'm afraid, very hagiographic.  Guess I shouldn't expect the truth when the band members of NWA are the ones producing the film, but after coming home and fact-checking I see that they left a lot of stuff out that would make them look really bad.  Dr. Dre, in particular, looks like the quiet producer mastermind of NWA when he may have been the most volatile.
So after all of that, here I sit.  My main concern now is pulling this fundraiser event off.  Who will show up?  Will they pay the donation?  Will I embarrass myself in front of people who may not want me/us there?  God, I really am hating running this by myself.

In fact, I really can't relax for a while now because on Saturday our alumni group will be meeting at our regular digs.  It'll be the first time back there, so I don't really know if things will go off without a hitch.  Also, there is a festival that's happening nearby which may dampen if not destroy any attendance.  Then on Sunday I work the Vikings game, and I need to make sure I don't lose my temper there.  I just can't relax right now, even though I have the whole house to myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment