Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Perfect Day I Ruined

This may have been the most perfect day of the summer, if not the year, if not ever. Seriously. I love cloudy days -- for now at least overcast skies are an aphrodisiac to me -- but even I could appreciate this day: Sunny ever minute, no clouds I could see, about 80 degrees and, most important of all, very low humidity.

I should have been able to enjoy the day. I had to go to "work" at the U., which meant I needed to walk about a mile. It wouldn't've been a chore this day; I would be able to enjoy the generosity of Mother Nature.

Instead, I messed it up. I was late getting out of the house and, in an effort to get to "work" on time, I ran to campus. (It didn't help that the fucker behind me wouldn't let me parallel park. Did you even see me, or were you actually headbanging to the radio?) I accumulated all this sweat on me -- not as bad as actual humid days, but I did sweat nonetheless.

I could've walked leisurely to campus and enjoyed the sun, but I had to run through the open air. It's like The Amazing Race: They say you go to all these fantastic places, but it's more like running past and through them. So, because of my tardiness, I made this day to be the same as any other sultry, uncomfortable summer afternoon.

Oh well, I thought, I'll make it up by walking to the coffeeshop after "work." But I couldn't. I made the mistake of asking Mother if she needed anything at the grocery store close by the coffee house, and she said she did: watermelons. Well, I really couldn't be walking around carrying two watermelons, so I had to take the car out and drive there. Turns out the watermelons weren't on sale anymore, so that was a waste ... just like this morning when she told me to drive to the bank to cash some checks, only for the teller to tell me there was no money.

My story comes full circle here: I'm cranky for waking up early for no reason. I get home with about a half-hour, maybe less, to try and get some rest before the time I originally planned to wake up. But I couldn't. Instead, I just go to my laptop and surf the Internet ... where I get into a bit of a pickle with Mafia Wars. I am so close to getting to the next level, but I don't have enough energy to do enough jobs to get there, and I used all my strength.

I tried waiting around to do maybe just one more fight, against someone with a mob size of, like, 2. I have, like, 37. I win the fight, but for some goddamn reason this opponent clips seven strength from me, and now I have to wait for those seven to refill. But now I really don't have the time, and I have to go now. I'll have more than enough if I go back later tonight, but when you advance to the next level everything automatically refills. It'll only take one job, which means I'm virtually refilling nothing.

By the way, because I ran, I was only five minutes late.

Again, I feel stupid because I made myself sweat on a warm but dry summer day that would not have otherwise made me sweat. I had to take a shower. Felt good, but I wouldn't've had to if I just budgeted my time better.

No comments:

Post a Comment