Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Sign That We're A Fucked-Up Family

Uncle's in the hospital.  Heart attack maybe, enlarged heart possibly, atrial fibriliation definitely.

Thank Buddha I conked asleep at 1 in the morning because I was wide-eyed at around 9.  That's when My Father woke me up and told me not that my uncle was in the hospital, but that I should check up on him because he's sick.  Two things wrong with this: 1) He said it in his typical whiny way, and 2) he gave me no indication that my uncle was actually in the hospital.  I thought this was a waste of time; Uncle's probably at home asleep.  That's why I didn't take it so seriously at first.

I visited his house and left a couple voicemails; only then did his sister-in-law (which would make him my aunt -- wow, today I got another aunt!) who told me, in English worse than even My Father's, that he was in the hospital.  If I bring this up with him he'll tell me he told me he was at the hospital, which he didn't.  That's why I won't bring it up.

Anyway, my uncle's a little scared, but he's better now.  I hope it's nothing too serious.  Pray for him.

Anyhoo, while I was in the parking lot at the hospital to go in, I get a call from My Mother.  She wanted me to go to the bank.  I asked her if it could wait.

"Can you go to the bank and then visit him at the hospital?"

Bitch.  This is why we're so goddamn unsensitive as a family.

By the way, I said, "Sure," then marched right into the hospital.  Went to the bank afterwards -- there was money still there to get, for crissakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment