Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Best Commercial On TV Right Now (If It's Still On TV, Because I'm Kind Of Late Posting This): Nike's "Write The Future"

I'm sorry I haven't been posting late at night recently. I've been doing this in the evening and coming back late, and I've been so wiped out I've actually got to bed at a decent hour and waking up around 9 or 10.

I saw this, I believe, on FOX when they broadcast the Champions League Final last month. This spot, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, who did Babel, is typically awesome. This ad is set in the last seconds of what looks to be an All-Star soccer game. A few of the greatest players in the world are showcased, and their actions are shown to affect his fans and his own fortunes.

The internal monologue of what that player does on the pitch, good or bad, is depicted, and the ripple effects for each player are visionary, funny and visually stunning. It starts with fans in plazas and bedrooms sighing at a dramatic bicycle-kick save of a sure goal. It continues to England's Wayne Rooney in hiding (after losing the ball) and then getting knighted by the Queen (after tackling the ballhandler). Then Homer Simpson appears.

Seriously, it's a three-minute movie, and the wonder and dazzle in this extended spot packs more excitement than most full-length films. It also illustrates a great point: In soccer (as in all sports), a moment can change everything. If you haven't yet watched it, watch it here:

No comments:

Post a Comment