Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Something's Not Right At Work

My assignment at the health insurance place was supposed to initially last for two months.  Those two months, I realized not too long ago, are up in about two weeks.  So even though it's supposed to happen in March, I'm already thinking about the theoretical end to my job there.  Unless it's not going to end.

As a temp, there is no guarantee or even convention that you will get two weeks notice before you're let go.  I was told at my previous assignment (in the same building) two weeks ahead of time, and even though I didn't know it then because I was still too upset, those two weeks gave me time to flip into this current job without any sudden interruption, even though I had to wait another two weeks before this job started up.

And by the way, I love this job.  I get to walk to my fairly sizable cubicle (the spare monitors off to the side are annoying, but I can deal with it), put on my headphones and just build the spreadsheet.  I don't talk to my supervisor all that much.  Don't get me wrong, she's lovely to talk to.  But she's not a micromanager, and the people who leave you alone to just do your job while you're listening to the radio are the best kind of boss.  Sure, it sucks the few times she does come around and she sees you surfing on the Internet, but it hasn't hurt me yet.  Right?

I noticed one thing yesterday/Monday.  My boss gave me this tray onto which forms I'm supposed to work on are to be dropped off.  I got the impression that would be the most important job in my assignment.  But I didn't get any forms dropped off onto that tray last week, and I didn't get one on Monday.  I still have work, mind you.  But if these forms don't come in, isn't that a sign that I won't have this job anymore?

So I might have the delicate task of asking my supervisor if I am going to be extended or not.  Hey, maybe she'll just come over and tell me to stick around for a little while longer.  I would love that.  But maybe she comes to my cube Friday and tells me that I will be let go in two weeks.  It seems as though I have a lot to do, but again, if I'm not getting these forms, am I supposed to believe I am going to stick around?

In the e-mail I use the most these days, most of the daily messages come from job sites.  They flood my inbox every day, yet I don't desubscribe from them because I don't know when I'll have to go back and actually use those job sites.  And I'm scared as hell that I will need to use them as soon as this week.  But, I have to be prepared for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment