Saturday, February 24, 2018

At Precisely The Wrong Fucking Goddamn Time

So the miracle didn't happen; as I write this, the first of the heavy snowfall from this snowstorm is falling.  I am watching the Class A Girls' State High School Hockey Final right now, and I should be there, and I'm not, so I'm pissed.

Forecasts have been consistent that the snow will fly.  There might even be "thundersnow," whatever that is.  But as much as it's going to be -- I've seen as little as four inches and as much as ten -- it's supposed to only last from about 3 p.m. till about midnight.  I saw a little begin at around 2:30 and then stop, then start again, and that is where we are.  Anyway, this is a big but fast-moving storm.  Nine hours and it's gone.  But those nine goddamn hours encompass both finals of the hockey tournament; the Class A final began at 4, the Class AA begins at 7.

I think I went to the AA Final two years ago and got hooked.  I wanted to go to last year's finals (which, unlike the boys, combine the finals of both classes in the same "session," so one ticket will get you both games spanning five hours or so), but I think because my parents were home, I didn't think I should do that.  But they're not here, and so this would be perfect for me to be an adult and go out and do whatever I want.  But this goddamn snowstorm is falling at precisely the wrong time, and so I will miss it.  I figure I could brave the bad weather, but the forecasters say it'll get so bad -- one-to-two inches may fall an hour -- that driving is not recommended.  I wish I were brave, but I am not.

And this time next year I'm guessing my folks will be home, so I won't be able to go next year, either.  My best-laid plans, ruined because a snowstorm is happening at just the wrong goddamn time.

No comments:

Post a Comment