Friday, February 23, 2018

Addendum To: The Fucking Snow Can Go Away Now

I have said in the past that snowstorms after New Year's are a little more tolerable than those before New Year's because the sun is stronger and therefore help in melting the snow.  I'll have to reconsider that blanket statement after the 1-2-3 punch of winter precipitation we're getting this week.

Monday's ice storm is a curveball I would rather not see again in my lifetime.  Sure, I got home OK, and the few inches of snow that fell after the ice storm is manageable.  (I have not shoveled it at all.  In retrospect I had time to do it Tuesday, but eh, why?)  But when the liquid precip hit my windshield and immediate froze to ice, making me crank up the defroster in order for me to see while driving, that's when I freaked out.  No thanks.

Then the first of a combo of storms hit last night.  It actually came in later than I saw on the weather forecast, so when I got to my car, it was clear and I had a choice: Race home or enjoy a margarita for $2.22 at the Hard Rock Cafe.  Hey, Margarita Day comes around only once a year, so I got a table and snorfed a marg in 45 minutes, at which time the storm came through and the snow was flying as I tried to make my way home.  I was fine, and I didn't need to build in all that much time to drive to work this morning through side streets ... but still.

And then there's the whopper that's supposed to be coming tomorrow.  Timing is very important.  I really want to go to the X to see the championship games of both classes of the state girls' hockey tournaments.  But last time I heard, the snow is coming in the afternoon and won't roll out until Sunday morning, at which eight goddamn inches might fall.  I would have to stay the fuck home if it's going to hit then.

Which reminds me: I have a house party to go to tonight.  I'd rather not plow, and I'm hoping that the sun that felt so warm in my face coming back to the building from my car will melt as much snow as a post-New Year's, climate change-assisted sun would.  But I figure that I'll have to spend some time after I get home from work today plowing the four inches that fell instead of wait to plow a foot Sunday.  Might break my snowblower if I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment