Tuesday, June 12, 2018

All My Voicemails Are Gone, And I Haven't Acted Like I Give A Shit

I had about 30 voicemail messages on my phone.  I don't know if this is true for you or not, but those voicemails have an expiration date of about a month.  I would have to access those voicemails and at least give a cursory listen or else they would be automatically deleted, forever.

I had the max, but one time I let that month period lapse without listening, or "renewing," to some of those messages, and they were gone forever.  After that mistake I resolved to be a lot more diligent in keeping them.  I admit that much of the reason is just OCD.  But the longer I keep renewing (although I had deleted a voicemail here and there and had planned on pruning some others), the more I got off on having voicemails that were one year, two years, three and four and, I think, five years old.

On top of that, the first four voicemails were very important to me.  The first one was from Enterprise Rent-A-Car, reminding me that the car I reserved for the family road trip out west was coming the next day.  The second came from my temp agency, preparing me that the flu biller place wanted me back in the fall, while I was working on a job downtown Minneapolis.  (These two were around the summer of ... I don't know?)  The third was just my sister asking me, "Where are you?"  I totally remember that I drove separately from my sister and cousin to the Walker Art Center to play mini-golf, and I parked far away because I didn't want to pay for it.  The fourth was from my usher friend.  It's been years since I listened all the way through it because, if I recall correctly, he broke the news that our usher friend died from complications from surgery.  I may have blog posted before about him; I felt really, really bad that for the months at the hospital, I never saw him.  I still regret it.  And I wanted to just keep that voicemail because, frankly, it's all I had to remember him.

Well ... this is a lame cop-out, but life happens.  And I let a month lapse.  I didn't think it had been more than a month.  But I was at work lunch, woke up from my nap, thought, "Hey, I should roll through my voicemails," called my number and heard, "Your mailbox is empty."  And then I looked through the last time I checked.  If I had only called earlier that week, maybe three days before I did, I would have been able to save them.  But I didn't.

So I thought about calling T-Mobile and telling them that the voicemails were important to me and maybe if I could get them back -- somehow.  But nah, that's impossible, and it's probably stupid to ask.  And then, well ... I forgot.  You see, this happened back in March.  And I planned on feeling sorry for myself by blog posting it.  But I waited, and then I forgot till now.  So, really, how much do I really care about this?

Well, now that I think through what the voicemails contained, I do really miss it now.  But, like renewing the VMs, it's way too late.  Can't really say I care about it if I didn't do a whole lot to save it or talk about it.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment