Sunday, June 24, 2018

Expenses Without Receipts

OK, starting from Saturday, June 23: 
  • So I wanted to spend as much time as possible watching the World Cup.  But my relative was leaving for San Francisco after her two-week stay here, and I wanted to be at home for her when she left, and that was after the first game of the tripleheader and just before the second.  No bar-hopping for me on this day.  However ... Mexico was playing South Korea in the second game, and that was a good time to go to El Taco Riendo, which has a TV and most certainly was going to show the game.  Got there at the start of the second half.  The language barrier and my inability to listen to accent kind of dragged down the experience for me.  The woman making my food asked how spicy I wanted my chicken, and I thought she asked me if I wanted chicken or beef.  All I can think of is The Store and how frustrating it was to try to speak with someone who either doesn't speak the language or speaks English with an accent I cannot comprehend through.  I hate it, and I know she hated it, too.  But at least the food was good.  With tip: $8.67.
  • I then went to the Nomad for the last game of the tripleheader, Germany-Sweden, and by God, that was one hell of a match.  Anyway, I felt, unlike the previous Saturday, I could eat a couple of things and not feel distended.  There was a food truck parked outside the Nomad, Marla's (Maria's?) Caribbean, and I ordered a plate of jerk wings to go with a special pilsner can rolled out for games involving Germany.  It's expensive, and I've been shelling out money like no one's business these days because, well, I have no self-control.  Beer, wings and tips for both come out to: $19.
  • I then went to the library to print out a Groupon for this trip my parents and taking and for proof that the state wants in order to continue to give me my health insurance.  Ugh.  Total: 40 cents.
  • After dinner I decided I wanted to head back out.  This time I wanted to go to the St. Paul Jazz Festival at Mears Park.  Took the old car, which was worked on that day.  My parents' old employee from The Store came over to switch out the shocks, but not the sway bar, if the banging I heard from home across the river is any indication.  It was hot enough, and I was thirsty enough, that I ordered a smoothie from this place called ... well, I don't remember it.  All I remember is that the strawberry-banana smoothie I got was good, but the cup was way smaller than the picture, and therefore I feel kind of burned over the deception.  It was not worth the price, which was, with tip: $8.
  • I then went to original Glam Doll Donuts for the first time in a few weeks, I think.  Didn't want to be a stranger.  I've been spending a lot of money these past few weeks, most of it on food.  I had recently tried to limit myself to just coffee and one donut, but this time around, because I was staying here (I'm blogging this part of EWR here) a long time I picked up a second one, a cheap Pride one.  I was scared at how much it was going to cost anyway, but somehow my slow-playing of reaching into my wallet and taking out my wallet compelled the guy to just give it to me.  What a swell guy!  (I threw in a buck tip anyway.)  He said that today was his last day.  He is a guy who's served me donuts in the past.  I'm glad to have seen him on his last day.  I made the right decision to come to Glam Doll, even if I spent, with tip, I think: $9.67.
  • Back to Friday the 22nd, where I was able to find parking closer to Brit's Pub in order to watch the opening kickoff in time.  I actually had to double back because I forgot my phone and I was still able to get to Brit's as the anthems starting playing.  Cost to park downtown: $8.50.
  • Afterward I went to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division) because it felt like something I should do once after work.  Was hesitant because of all the cars wizzing by as I was going to exit the parking lot, but again, I wanted to do it once.  Breezy is hot, so hot I tipped her twice.  Lotus has got some abs.  Got a Coke because I did not stay there long.  Total: $10.
  • That evening I had to drop off my aunt at her place.  This is the last night before this relative was leaving, so we had one final dinner of salmon.  I thought that since I was taking her back to her place, I might as well exercise.  But I realized on my way there that the community center is closed.  But I didn't want to just hightail it back home immediately.  What to do?  Back to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Edition), of course.  The last time I visited this place twice in the same day was years ago and it was because I wanted to see a specific girl there.  It was a waste of gas and money, but I just felt compelled to see boobs again.  And good thing too, because vet Giselle finally gave me her real name!  I don't know why she decided to, but thank Buddha she did, and thank Buddha that I made the right decision!  I was so happy I got a lap dance from her.  With Sprite (I wasn't staying long this time either) and tips and it came out to: $28.
  • And just because I went to DQ for a mini Blizzard before going home: $3.20.
  • Back to Wednesday, June 20 -- parked downtown: $8.
  • Then to Caribou for coffee.  Stupid me, I forgot to bring my thermos with me, so I had to get a paper cup from them.  A large with tip set me back: $2.75.
  • I know I shouldn't be spending any money, but I really, really want to just enjoy my time downtown while I'm working there.  And that means partaking in the food trucks.  First time in this gig I hit this truck called Habanero Taco.  Its quesadilla is alright, although they were pretty skimpy on the al pastor.  With tip: $10.
  • My aunt has been coming home to eat dinner with us while my first cousin once removed is in town, so I have been taking her back to her place.  This time, after dropping her off, I went to Wal-Mart because I was hankering for a pop.  My excuse was I needed to drive the old car a little longer to burn off the oil.  Wal-Mart is a scary place, a wake-up call to The Real America, but damn, their vending machines are cheap: 50 cents.
  • Tuesday the 19th ... I like downtown, but I hate parking.  Without relying on public transportation to dive into and out of downtown, this is the cheapest lot I could find within walking distance to work.  And even though it's outside, it doesn't matter because I'm apparently not allowed a lunch break, so I can't go in there to take a nap.  It costs me: $8.
  • Oh, and this place's Keurig machine is broken.  So I have to get to parking early enough so that I have time to get to Caribou and get coffee.  This is a place where one would think things work, but I guess not.  And how do you break a Keurig?  Never mind.  Coffee plus tip: $2.75.
  • Another good thing about working downtown?  After work I can visit my alumni club's hangout to keep up relations.  Just wanted to stop in for a beer for Happy Hour.  With tip: $3.
  • On Monday the 18th I did the same routine as the day after.  Parked downtown: $8.
  • Then I went to get coffee (ETA at 11:39 p.m. on June 24 that the coffeehouse I went to was Caribou) (with tip): $2.75.
  • But that afternoon I was so dragged as a result of no nap that I just had to walk in order to wake myself up.  I went down to the ground floor of the IDS Center and looked at the Bogart's Doughnut kiosk, and apparently they run a "Happy Hour" where you buy one doughnut and get a second for free.  Guess people only think doughnuts are a breakfast food.  But I had to cash in -- you know, buy two, eat one when I go back up, and save one for the next day.  With tip the two doughnuts cost me: $2.75.
  • Back to Sunday the 17th, where, after dim sum with the family, I managed to wiggle out of the house to see a World Cup game at the Nomad.  Maybe I got this before, but I didn't remember that the bar reimburses fully the cost of parking at that nearest lot.  Sweet!  That spares me trying to find a spot at the Somali apartments.  And that saved me more money for the Tecate cans that are on special for soccer matches.  Plus tip it set me back: $5.
  • And then I went to the library afterward to print out these invoices Mother wanted me to make for her.  Her instructions for these invoices were why I was, uh, 32 seconds late for the beginning of the Brazil-Switzerland matchup.  Three invoices, three copies each, plus a mistake on one of them, equals: $1.
  • On Saturday, June 16, even though everything I spent that day I put on my credit card, I found a penny, uh, somewhere.  I passed it by because I was not doing anything with money that day, but then thought, eh, what the heck, and I picked it up.  An Infusion of: 1 cent.
  • Back to Friday the 15th, which was the first day I parked in this cheapest lot: $8.
  • And because I could not adjust to a straight eight-hour day, I needed to go to my alumni chapter's hangout for a beer.  Bud Light, same as the EWR up top.  But I was only charged two bucks this time around; up top, that set me back $2.25.  Huh?  I rounded up the tip both times so I spent the same amount: $3.
  • Back to Wednesday the 13th, the day before I started this new job/gig, where I spent most of my day thinking about whether I should go to ***a*'s place to see if she's ghosting me.  Inbetween visits I went to Caribou.  Bagel, mocha and tip comes out to: $8.50.
  • And that evening I also had coffee, at Caffetto.  You know, just to clear my thoughts.  Dark roast plus tip: $2.
  • And then afterward, to further clear my thoughts, I went to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division).  No laps, just coffee and stage tips: $10.
  • Let's go back to Sunday, June 10, my last day in Denver.  Say, do people tip housekeepers anymore?  I left for them: $2.
  • And so people tip rental car shuttle drivers anymore?  I used to, then I didn't, but this time I did because he helped me with my suitcase: $1.
  • Got home, fell asleep for several hours, woke up in the afternoon and declared that I needed to work out.  Actually, I needed to go to DQ!: 2.99.
  • On Friday the 8th I went to one of the must-eat places in Denver: El Taco De Mexico, considered by many to have the best green chile sauce (a Denver specialty) in town.  Only had time to go there for breakfast, but dammit, that burrito was good, and huge!  Plus tip: $15.
  • I then made it a burrito double by going to the original, the very first, Chipotle close at the University of Denver.  I planned on going there, and I planned on using this free burrito card that ****e*, the stripper-cum-maid who cleaned my house before my parents came back from their cruise, gave to me because she doesn't eat Chipotle.  I didn't want to eat two burritos in the same day, but considering my compressed schedule, it couldn't be helped.  Chipotle's Chipotle, but I was surprised at how small the store is.  Maybe I should not be surprised.  I wanted to celebrate this "pilgrimage" by going all out and gettin chips and guac too.  I believe I charged all the food , but the tip came out of my wallet (ETA on 11:39 p.m. on June 24 that I did not put any of this on my credit card, that I should not have said "all the food" because the burrito was free and I only paid for the chips and guac, and, including tip the amount that came out of my pocket is a lot different): $16.78.
  • After Chipotle, on a whim, I went hiking.  As I think I said before, taking a long hike without easy access to facilities the day of eating not one but two big burritos is a big mistake.  I am so, so lucky to have reached a pit stop before I blew my pants.  It was at a wildlife refuge, the details of which I have forgotten.  I was the only one there until the attendant came in from wherever she was.  I stayed there only for five, ten minutes before, well, I had to go back to the bathroom a second time.  But I gave thanks by popping a buck into a donation receptacle disguised as a tree.  When I put it in the slot, I heard the chipmunk that was "living in the tree" make chipmunk thank-you sounds.  Cute!  Gave: $1.
  • You know, I thought vacations are to unwind.  Instead I was everywhere on this day.  After hiking I somehow made it to the Rockies game and witnessed First Pitch.  Great seat; it was in the very back, accessible row, and I was the only one who got it.  I was not sure that the ticket got me a break on concessions, but apparently it did, but I'm not going to dwell on that right now.  Wish I had time to explore Coors Field more, and I wish it wasn't so hot, but the usher next to me was really nice.  Charged everything but the scorecard and pencil I bought, which set me back: $2.
  • I finished my night going to Voodoo Doughnuts, the Denver outpost of the wildly successful and famous donut shop originating in Portland.  They're good.  Would I wait in a line for 15 minutes, like I did?  Only as a novelty.  Got two donuts and a cup for pop.  With tip the total was: $7.35.
Hopefully it's complete.  But probably not.  Good through June 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment