Sunday, June 3, 2018

Hello? Does Anyone Want Me?

So I signed up to work the NCAA Baseball Tournament Regional at Siebert.  The guy actually called me up and left a voicemail, which I read on Google Voice.  I was busy with work, so I thought I could wait until later in the afternoon, and when I did, I couldn't get reception, so I waited until after work, when I would try again in the car.  That's where I finally connected with him.  Unfortunately, someone got back to him before I called him back, and that person got the runner job.

Look, I didn't answer the phone because I was unfamiliar with the number; for all I knew, it was a spam, and I'm not going to answer that.  And I waited to call him back after because I was busy with work for people and a company that I respect.  Plus, frankly, I thought I had time; I didn't think this guy was calling people around for people to work for him.  This particular, uh, set-up is new to me, so I want to forgive myself for not knowing how this works.  But dammit, it would have been nice to work this, especially now that (don't tell my parents) I'm out of work.

Meanwhile, the spate of jobs I've applied for last week I apparently sent out into outer space, because I have heard from absolutely no one, and I mean goddamn no one.  I really have no idea how in the fuck this is happening.  I see all these jobs, which means they're going unfulfilled, and I know they aren't great, which means there is still a need for someone to take them.  Shit, I'm overqualified for these jobs -- that's why I applied for them!  So why is no one contacting me?  The only reason I can think of is that people have made up their minds about me, whatever it is, even if they have never spoken to me, and therefore they don't want to even talk to me.  I wonder if it's my resume.  Maybe I shouldn't include my recent work because that leads people to exclude me.  If I use a less recent, or vaguer, resume, maybe I can get those jobs.  Oh, I don't know.

Finally, there's nothing coming from the temp agency I'm hearing from.  I am lined up for a two-week job, which, paycheck aside (and yes, it's important), is useless to me long-term.  On top of that -- and this is fucking weird, so I'll talk about it later -- My Father's cousin is staying with us for a couple weeks.  We may have to take her to Chicago to entertain her, and that might mean I can't take this job.  Again, since it's so short-term it doesn't matter, but ... oh, fuck it, I'm so lost right now.

I need work.  There is work.  I can't find long-term work.  And I can't even find goddamn short-term work.  I don't know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment