Tuesday, November 16, 2021

False Alarm?

God, I have so many things I could talk about now.  But I'll address the one thing that's giving me the most anxiety right now, and that's my goddamn car.

So after I panicked like shit over the smart key indicator light last night, I made an appointment online with the dealership to bring it in Wednesday.  However ... I was going to try and use the other key fob when I drove my car this morning.  There was nothing to indicate that this indicator light is dependent on the fob; if anything, the start engine button, and the entire contraption behind it, appears to be the problem.  I just tried it anyway because I couldn't think of anything else to do in order to diagnose the problem.  I immediately default to feeling helpless when it comes to cars breaking down.

Well, wouldn't you know it?  I use the other fob, I push the button, and there was no light.  It didn't come on when I drove home from work, either.  Does this mean this is a fluke?

So, before I used my parents' minivan to drive to the gym, I took the old fob (the one with which I got the scary indicator light from last night) and started the car with it on the driveway.  It started, and the smart key indicator light went out along with all the other dashboard lights immediately after I turned the engine on.

Great.  The only explanation I can come up with this is that I was driving my car everywhere Sunday night.  I took it to the airport, drove back, stopped off at Target, came home, went to my storage unit, went back home, and I turned on my car to go to work to get a couple hours of overtime in precisely when Mother called and said their flight was postponed till the morning.  That is when that indicator light came on, so maybe it's a signal that things got so hot in there that the connections behind the on/off button started to wear or fritz ... or something?

At this point I kind of want the light to go on and stay on, because then I can go to the dealership and point to that light and say, "See?  Fix this!"  But in the morning I am going to take my old fob and use it to at least start the car.  If the light goes on, well, I am taking tomorrow off work and getting to the bottom of this.  But if it doesn't, and if my car runs just fine, at the very least that means that the button has cooled off to the point where the light won't come on.  I would then have to cancel the appointment for tomorrow because I cannot reproduce the problem and I therefore would be telling them to look for something they can't see.  Like I said, I kind of wish that the light just shows up again as proof that there's something wrong with it.

And mark my words, as soon as I cancel with the dealership (and tell my boss that it turns out I don't have to take tomorrow off after all), that fuckin' smart key indicator light will go on and stay on.  Such is my shitty life.

No comments:

Post a Comment