Thursday, November 4, 2021

Feeling Strangely Fine

Have to say this: After working in the Fourth Department the first two days and with two to go ... I'm feeling strangely fine about it.

My supervisor said, after I told her that things felt "different" this week as opposed to the overwhelming waves of oppression that crashed on top of me previous times I subbed in there, that it's a product of understanding what I need to do and learning to do it intuitively.  I want to disagree.  I think I have been extraordinarily lucky in the amount of work I have had to do so far this week.  The workload before this week was outrageous to the point I couldn't see how one person could do this job and stay under 40 hours a week.  The first half of my day -- at least -- was me catching up to previous work.  I didn't think I could even get to the new work that I had to do until lunchtime, or even afternoon break.  That's what kept me an extra hour, hour-plus on previous nights.

That has come down ... somewhat.  Tuesday, frankly, was a breeze.  In fact, I was going to leave The Fourth Department early because my boss was offering overtime in data entry.  But my supervisor got back to me through chat about a question I texted to her phone earlier that afternoon, and we dealt with that for about ten minutes after my shift was supposed to be over.  The workload grew a bit yesterday, and I got stuck for twenty minutes there after I should.  I wonder if my boss will wonder why I keyed so little (OT was offered yesterday as well).

I hope my supe's right about the equivalent of me being a Quarterback seeing the game "slow down for me."  If not, I hope the workload stays at a manageable level.  But I'm afraid that by blog posting about it, I have manifested the exact opposite, and I'll be drowning in work today and tomorrow that'll keep me there till 8 o'clock and lead me to hate that job and my life.  Fingers crossed for the opposite.

(By the way, the title of this blog post comes from the name of an album by local band Semisonic.  Feeling Strangely Fine is a state I'm in sometimes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment