Friday, September 9, 2022

Addendum To: State Fair Thoughts

Back to waiting in line for food at the Minnesota State Fair: I queued up for the third and final time at Union Hmong Kitchen Labor Day and like the previous day, I was in line for about 50 minutes, maybe a few seconds less.  Like I said before, I don't remember being in so many long lines at a single State Fair in my life.  Had the tofu and the "Tiger Bite" sauce, by the way.  The skin of the tofu was extremely tasty, which made the tofu go down just fine, and that oil had more bark to it than bite because while it was a tad hot, it was by no means hotter than the irredeemably spicy chili oil

While waiting in line, I was speaking to the woman behind me.  She said that while this long was excruciatingly long, the one for the pickle pizza was longer.  I walked by that place -- it's been a longtime vendor at the Fair but I never ate there because, well, it has just served pizzas for years -- Sunday and Monday and the damn lines were so freakin' long!  The woman behind me in line for UHK said she heard secondhand that people were waiting an hour and a half for a slice of pickle pizza.  Are you kidding me?  First of all, like I said before, I don't know if waiting in line for that long is worth it no matter how good the food you're queuing up for is.  And second ... pickle pizza?  I heard a lot of people who tried it liked it, and I think there might be something to the savoriness of pickles on a pizza.  But ... can't you just buy a pickle, buy a pizza, put pickles on that pizza, and then eat the pickle pizza?  But people apparently were waiting 90 minutes to pay nine bucks for a slice of that, then post themselves posing with said pizza for Instagram.  It's ridiculous ... but it's the State Fair.  I mean, I didn't line up for that, but obviously I lined up for UHK and some people thought I was stupid, so I know the mass hysteria and the FOMO that causes people to get in line for a long time for buzzy food.

Still though ... pickle pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment