Tuesday, September 20, 2022

I Think I Accomplished A Lot Tonight

Even though I was on three hours of sleep and was noticeably grouchy and quiet at work today (I became that when I got the impression my co-worker, the one who has bailed me out many, many times, was perturbed at me for not doing one thing when I should have done another thing before I left to go to a different spot during the day and left her with some work regarding that one thing I should have done instead of the thing I did do), I have a reason, or an excuse/justification.  I was up Sunday evening, in what you would call a quasi-mental breakdown, going all over the house for two reasons: Trying to find a way to replace the broken blinds, and finding this form to get reimbursed for my dental checkup from June.  I went to this room to find a yardstick so I could measure the window frame, and I checked and rechecked my bookbag, which I laid close to the front door, for these reimbursement forms.  I did this so much that I went to bed to get less than three hours of sleep.

All this running around -- which, upon further reflection, may have been a manic episode -- nonetheless made me determined to fix both problems: To change the broken blinds and to fill out and fax this form to get my money back.  And even though I was running on fumes (even though my lunch nap did wonders for me), I was going to do both last/Monday night.

And I did.  On my way home I bought a tension rod, which a dear co-worker of mine suggested I use to hang up the curtains she gave to me (her child didn't want them as she went to college), from Target.  I took a deep, well-needed nap for about 90 minutes or so, then got on my two-step ladder to figure out how to open the brackets and take out the headrail and thus the whole thing.  I thought I needed a screwdriver to unscrew something; turns out I needed it just to pop open the brackets that snap shut, then I used it to pry open the, uh, valence clip (aside: It's the weirdest thing that, when something breaks and you try to go on the Internet to see how to fix it yourself, you are introduced to a world of terminology you need to nail down in order to figure out how the hell to fix it) that held up the middle of the headrail.  But once I did both things, the broken blinds slid out.  The first tension rod was not long enough -- I should have paid closer attention to the length of the rod that was stamped on the label -- so I had to run to Target, wait for ten minutes behind some Asian dude returning at least, and I shit you not, three grand worth of Apple products, then buy a long tension rod.  But I got back home, found a curtain wide and long enough, and put it back in the bracket.  We'll see how much sunlight it lets in compared to the venetian blind, but I won't have to worry about the strings on the blinds completely snapping and falling while I'm either in the nude or masturbating, or both.

Oh, and after I got home I filled out the form and then went out to fax it.  The local Cub used to have a fax service where each page was only a buck, but they don't do that anymore, so I had to go to a FedEx where I did it for a bit over two bucks, which I swear is a hell of a lot cheaper than the last time I went there to fax something.  My main concern over this is filling it out correctly.  I remember having to talk to someone for about 15 minutes, having her tell me what I do in this section and then in this section.  I have a form I needed to fill out from 2019, and I used that to guide me for this one.  I hope what I did then was correct.  Hell, I hope the fax number didn't change.

So, assuming that the fax went through and the curtain is going to do what it's supposed to do, the two problems I stayed up for Sunday night I was actually able to fix.  I'm proud of myself.  And I think I should reward my self with rest ... even though it's only going to be four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment