Friday, September 23, 2022

Fucked-Up Fridays

Need to note that today/Friday, last Friday, and the Friday before last either were or will be fucked-up.  It has rained or will rain those three Fridays, and that's bad, but they've been fucked-up not just because of the rain.

Well, Friday the 9th was mostly fucked-up because of the rain.  I wanted to get to the volleyball Matches as soon as I could leave work, but I stayed in my car for, oh, an extra 20 minutes because of the steady rain (and because I couldn't bring my umbrella to the Sports Pavilion).  I'm glad I was able to see the whole Minnesota-Oregon Match after the Penn St.-Stanford Match, but I wish I could have seen more of the Nittany Lion-Cardinal Match than I did ... but for the rain.

Now, last Friday, the 16th, was kind of fucked-up because of the rain.  But I was mostly late to the volleyball Match between Pepperdine and Washington St. (which the Waves won in five Sets after being down 2-1 to the Cougars), even though I was going to miss its start regardless due to work, because I lost my fucking watch.  I was preparing to leave, was going to put my watch back on after I take it off the start my workday ... and I couldn't find the damn thing.  I went to my car twice, intending to leave and feeling as though my watch couldn't have walked away from my workstation, only to come back inside the building to canvas not just my workspace again but also everywhere else I was that day -- my main desk, the bathroom, the break rooms, etc.  I took an extra ... oh, between 15 and 30 minutes before I gave up and went to the Match.  I think -- I think -- I saw barely more than half the Match, and barely more than half the Points of a great contest.  Obviously I would have seen more than half easy if I didn't go back and fruitlessly look for my watch.

Still, I couldn't let go, so after the Match (and stopping by the place we usually see our alma mater's football Games) I went back to work to take one final look-see through my workstation and, voila, I found it.  It was behind one of the monitors.  I put it on its stand, then over the course of the day I guess I piled my paperwork on top of it, and then used it to push my watch to the back.  I crawled underneath the desk to look for it, for God's sake, but it was kind of disguised in darkness just behind that monitor.  If I had only looked back there in the first place, I could've saved myself 15-30 minutes, dammit.

I think I encountered some drizzle on my way to Maturi.  But it looks as though the rain will be steadier today.  And that absolutely sucks, because I want to go to the Twins Game.  Not to see the Twinks; they've fallen into the shitter the second half of the season.  No, I want to see their opponent for the tilt, the Anaheim Angels.  As bad (shockingly so) as the team is as a whole, they have arguably the two best players in Major League Baseball: Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani.  In particular, I've always wanted to see Ohtani pitch.  And it just so happens that Ohtani is scheduled to start for the Angels tonight.  And I'll be goddamned, there is a just-better-than 50/50 chance it'll rain at Opening Pitch of 7:10.

So it could rain so bad that the start of the Game will be delayed, or, it'll be delayed at some point after Opening Pitch, or, the Game will be rained out.  And even if the Game goes on, it'll be cloudy, cool, and quite windy -- not perfect baseball weather, in other words.  Is it worth all that to see Ohtani pitch?  It would ... were it not looking like a good possibility that it'll rain.  Fuckin A, man, I might not be able to see Ohtani pitch ever again after tonight, but this goddamn rain. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment